Searching fr the most comfortable seat or ride. Please help!

Hello friends,
I have a Cadillac dhs with 93k mi. Would like a awd sedan or SUV since I live in the snow belt and have tired of being rescued after being stuck in my driveway ( it was not deep snow, but slushy on low grades, etc.). Seat comfort is highest priority after 3 back surgeries, needing a seat cushion with my car, and feel every bump in my husband,s Acura Rdx even with it. Want to buy a new or pre-owned vehicle under 50k. And would appreciate your advice. Thanks. Jay

Seat comfort is really personal. You will have to try out a bunch of vehicles on extended trips to be sure. I like firm seats so I would be the last person to tell you what look for. But, the Chevy and GMC awd midsize car based SUVs are very comfortable overall… A Highlander or Ford flex in awd are two others I would try too. If you liked your Caddy, they make Suv versions too with similar comfort.

You might also check out a Lexus RX350 awd.

Comfortable car seats are like comfortable shoes – what’s comfortable for me, may not be for you. Try as many as you can, and not just for a five minute test drive around the block. You may want to rent a few cars for a couple of weekends to spend more time in the seat.

Regarding winter driving – tires are more important than AWD. I’ve been driving RWD cars for 35+ Colorado winters. I’ll take my RWD BMW with four real winter tires over AWD with all-season (read three season) tires any day. Your money is better spent on tires than AWD.

Avoid low seating, bucket seats.

Two SUV’s that seemed comfortable were the Honda CRV and Toyota Rav4. I bought one of them but there are others with good seats. I liked the seats in the upgraded interiors in SUVs and pickups that I rode in about ten years back. They’re all good for some, worse for others.

@pleasedodgevan2
The RDX is essentially the upscale/luxury version of the CRV, if the OP is not comfortable in the RDX, I think the CRV is out. I also happen to have had one, so I know :slight_smile:

You will have to test drive bunch of them. Make sure the seat adjusts position in all the different areas. Some quirky things come back to haunt you, so if you can, rent one for a long drive.
(On the CRV, one issue I had was the arm rest, very close to the seat, I am 6’ tall; also the arm rest would go up and tilt if I adjusted the bottom cushion to my liking, making it useless, so I always had my arm on the passenger arm rest which made the road trips with the wife so much more fun)

I agree seat comfort is not one size fits all. However having said that my wife and I agree that the seats in our 2013 Ford Escape Titanium AWD are among the most comfortable we’ve ever had. The Escape also sits up a bit higher than the Ford Fusion it replaced. My wife (w/ two knee replacements) finds it easier to get in and out than a car. I recommend test driving the Escape.

I have to agree. comfortable seats are hard to find because they are so individual. GM seats, any GM vehicle are tough on my back for some reason, but thats just me. For some reason I find the basic seats found in most trucks other than GM to be the most comfortable.

If you have seats that really work for you, then I would suggest new tires. Winter tires to be specific, like Michelin Ice X.

Here is the survey from tirerack.com. Look at the section for studless ice and snow.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=W&VT=C

The amount of seat padding is inversely proportional to the amount of padding of your keister times the mass devided by the circumference (inches for US made, and metric for everywhere else)

I’ll be working in the lab to determine the seat back. I will tell you that a tractor’s seatback of 3 inches isn’t going to help the spine.
:>}

Honestly it sounds like new tires are what you need. With some good winter tires you probably wouldn;t get stuck, and if those seats are working for your back that might be a better solution.

Benz and Audi’s have a reputation for comfortable seats…They are also high-maintenance, expensive cars…Crown Vics and Grand Marquis also have good seats for far less money…Just stay home when it snows…

As others have said, seat comfort is analogous to shoe comfort. You have to try seats on a long test drive just as you try on a pair of shoes and walk at least the length of the store.

Both my wife and I find the seats in our 2003 Toyota 4Runner very comfortable, particularly on long trips. For the first block you think you may be riding in a wheelbarrow, but when we take the 360 mile trip to visit our son, we find the trip easier than in any other vehicle in which we made the trip. I found the seats and seating position in my 2006 Chevrolet Uplander minivan more comfortable on trips than the seats in my 2011 Toyota Sienna. I would have bought another GM minivan, but GM quit making minivans. The Sienna was the most comfortable for us for the minivans still left on the market. We once had a 1993 Oldsmobile 88 with all the bells and whistles, but the seat for me was so uncomfortable after 50 miles that we would drive our 1990 Ford Aerostar minivan on long trips instead.

I had a Ford Escape Hybrid assigned to me to drive to a conference about 4 years ago and I found it to be very comfortable on the trip. Two years ago, my wife and I flew to California and rented a Chevrolet Traverse. We were both impressed with this SUV>

Fifty-three years ago I had a college classmate who had terrible spine and back problems. He came from a wealthy family and was told to buy whatever he found comfortable. After testing quite a few cars, he bought a VW Beetle–he said the seat fit his back better than anything else that was available.

Again, try out different vehicles and do a long test drive–even rent a vehicle you are seriously considering if need be.

I’ve never had a more comfotable ride…both seats and suspension…than my 08 Ford Expedition EL…yep , the big gas hog is the best ride of all.

Whatever car you get a real sheepskin will add plenty of comfort.
Find them at motorcycle suppliers. I have one that I use in the car and it’s nice. The sheepskin still has the wool on it.

Costco has a gel seat pad. I got one for my saturn when I’m on a long road trip. It and my lumbar support make all the difference. Normally one hour is my limit in that car, but with the gel pad and the lumbar support, I put on over 5000 miles in 7 days two years ago with very little pain.

You might consider getting one for when in your husbands vehicle.

My dad is retired and ferries cars for a dealer. He LOVES driving new pickups. U climb up, huge seats, great visibility, and 4wd. There u go.

Try the Chevy Traverse,GMC Acadia,Buick Enclave triplets out. This is the first car I’ve been able to drive 10 hour days in without backpain. I woud definitely NOT get the trailer towing package unless you need it. It has a much rougher ride.