Searching for a new car

Hello all
I need the community experience on this question that I have. You see, I want to buy a new car but I want it to be: fuel-efficient -if it is a hybrid even better-, 6ft friendly (my boyfriend is very tall and he barely fits in my toyota corolla), reliable as my 1997 toyota corolla, able to go in rough terrains (we live in Saint Paul, MN but take frequent trips to the northern area of the state) and NOT be a truck or van. I really appreciate any recommendations/comments/inputs from all of you.

Thank you and have a lovely day

Teresa

If all wheel drive would be a benefit for your rough terrain driving, the Subaru Impreza could be a good choice. I’m 6’3" and found the one I sat in to be quite comfortable. The fuel economy isn’t quite as good as some other small cars due to the AWD (25city/34hwy). Consumer Reports ranks Subaru in their top 10 brands for reliability.
I have a Forester (needed more cargo space and ground clearance than the Impreza) and think it is a great car. It does especially well when the snow piles up in the residential roads and rural areas around here.

The Toyota Highlander hybrid with 4WD gets 28 MPG city and 28 MPG highway. You might want a used one though. They start at $38,700.

Mazda Cx-5 with AWD is rated for 31mpg on the highway

A Forester fits most of your needs, very roomy, not as good as the CX-5 on mpgs, though.