Schrader valves opening on the front wheel of dragsters at 200mph

By revs, I was meaning RPM, although I didn’t clearly say so. I think you’re right though, that the orientation of the valve stem can make the rest of it moot. I have to admit that I’ve never really thought about it until right now; I’d always just assumed that angled valve stems were intended to ease the job of checking pressure and adding air.

An old country boy presented a different approach to figuring things out. This story is only distantly related to this problem but you might like it anyway.

If a squirrel runs from one hole in a log to another hole on the other end in 10 seconds the first time and takes a half second less time on each subsequent run, how long will it take the squirrel to poke his head out of both holes at the same time?

Some math enthusiast might tell you how long it will take to happen. Even a young country boy will tell you that it can’t happen.

Education comes from colleges but wisdom can occur anywhere.

Scrabbler, did you work on the Venus Probe firmware? I ask because you mixed metric and standard units without conversion.

I think your idea about RPM is wrong. Imagine the front and rear wheels as two rolls of cellophane tape, one large, and one small. As the car rolls forward, each roll of tape will spool out an equal length of tape.

The issue isn’t RPM, it’s the notional speed of a point on the circumference in a direction tangent to the circumference.

Fun fact: the speed of the point on the tire in contact with the ground relative to the ground is always zero. Except when skidding.

Uh no, I’m not that smart. The only English unit I’m aware of in my calc is the 5280 feet. The conversion (admittedly inexact) was to divide by three to convert into meters.

I am second to none in my love and appreciation of country people, but what you are talking about is Zeno’s Paradox and the theory of limits, i.e. the basics of calculus. It’s commonly taught in colleges.

A “math enthusiast” would tell you it would never happen, and your story is not even distantly related to this Puzzler, but that’s just more reason to love you.

@DavidKelly:

Since when are metric units not standard? Doesn’t the “S” in “ISO” have something to do with “standard”?

ISO is a standards body whose chosen units of measure are designated “SI” which stands for Syst?me International d’Unit?s. No “standard” in that!

I’m an American! When I go to Sears to buy a wrench my choices are “standard or metric.” :slight_smile:

I’m an American! When I go to Sears to buy a wrench I love the fact that they changed the name to leave in the white guy (Sears) and leave out the black (Roebuck)!

That’s a standard!

And yes, the “S” in “ISO” does have something to do with “standard”. It sort of means “standard”. What Sears calls standard is not standard.

Would this be the “black” Roebuck that you’re talking about?

http://www.searsarchives.com/people/questions/detail/roebuck_alvah.htm

They must have whitewashed him.