Same car new topic 2005 mazda 6 wagon

Tell them what you have in mind and ask them how much it costs for the body work. You might ask for an opinion on whether they would do it if they owned the car.

I doubt just how good they are if they recommend undercoating on a vehicle that sounds as rusted as this one . Even some of the better rated ones say it needs to be done every year.

Do you really have the money to keep throwing at this vehicle ?

1 Like

Well, first of all, it’s not rusted to the point it’s falling apart by any means. All cars have rust when lived in a snowbelt salted road area 4-5 months out of the year. There are cars on the road that are older than mine that have 100, 200k miles on them. Can’t tell me they don’t have rust.

Secondly, as for having the money to throw at it, it’s still cheaper than getting a new car, or even a “new used” car. It’s 16 yrs old, never been in any kind of accident, not even a fender-bender. The radiator is the only major thing that’s ever been done, other than replacing the headlights (but is that considered a major thing?)

I don’t like ANY of the “cars” out there. Seems nothing’s an actual car anymore anyway, they’re all SUVs and trucks now, and I don’t like either of them. I need a step stool to get into and out of both styles. Feet dangle like 6-8 inches off the ground. When having a loaner - always an SUV, even small ones - and I’m in a parking lot and someone sees me getting out of one of those things, they always laugh because I almost fall out. Plus the seats are really molded - not good for my sciatica - and getting over that molded seat hump is another obstacle.

If there was something out there that I even half-way liked I might have a different opinion about getting something else. As it is, that’s not happening. So I’m keeping this one alive as long as possible. Hopefully it’ll outlive me.

1 Like

What I have in mind: keeping the car in as good of shape as possible. What kind of “body work” would I ask about - the rust under the car? Or the little bit of rust on the other quarter panel and hood? Actually, even if they said they wouldn’t fix those it wouldn’t matter. I’d have it done just so it doesn’t get worse.

As for the rust under the car, I could probably get 3 different opinions from 3 different places. I’m just gonna find out what’s the best thing to do (if there is one) and take it from there. Like I said, the car’s in pretty good shape for being 16 yrs old. Will just take it one thing at a time.