Same body, new internals

This isn’t all that uncommon, it’s pretty doable. GM E-Rod LS3 , $9k . 8L90 8 speed automatic, $6k. Vintage Air A/C system , $2k. You might want a beefier axle, and with an 8 speed transmission, you could do whatever you wanted for the rear end ratio, something milder like a 3.08, 3.31, or 3.55 would work fine. You’ll a new radiator, exhaust, mounts, and you’ll want to upgrade the suspension and brakes as well.

For the interior you can do whatever you want a custom interior can run upwards of $20k, but you can get by with half that if your demands aren’t too outrageous, , budget about $1500-$2500 for a nice sound system. And about $4k-$6k for a nice, better than factory-but not concours quality paint job ( + another grand if you’re changing the color).

If the car is in good shape to begin with, you can probably get all this done for around $40k give or take.

You’ll end up with a car that does everything better than the original car, and could probably get around 15-22 MPG, which would be significantly better than stock, and have significantly better performance at the same time.

Edit: If you don’t already have the car, then figure another $15k-$20k for a 1967 Impala in good condition to start out with. So all in you’re probably going to be around $60k-ish.

Should have seen the looks when a bud put a 350 into an mgb!

1 Like

1965 to 1970 are all the same generation, and are essentially the same as the 1967. That makes finding them a lot easier. If it gets a new engine, look for a six cylinder or small block V8. All the big block Impalas are probably SS cars, and that makes the cost prohibitive unless the engine is trashed.

I really appreciate everyone’s input - thank you for your knowledge. You all have definitely given me a lot to think about . . . But I did go ahead and give Richard Rawlings of Gas Monkey an email :laughing: - so we’ll see where that leads.

1 Like

Gas Monkey Garage?

You don’t need us!

Tester

Self deprecation from the best we have? Maybe I missed the joke.

There are companies that will put any body on a newer chassis, I saw a show where they put a Mustang 60s, I think, on a Ferrari running gear, and I have heard somewhere of some other swaps.

Why go so small?

(This prompted by memory of a story in Road& Track about 45 years ago – fellow put a Rolls aircraft engine into a contemporary RR car, with slightly elongated bonnet. Google for “aircraft engine in rolls royce automobile” )