Safety of old cars

If most cars on the road today HAD mediocre drivers, then we might not have half the problems we do. However, most drivers seem to think the actual art of driving is secondary to that text or phone call they just got, or that iPod that needs shuffling, or the nav unit that needs redirected

Good point; when I was racing through rural Ohio in my friend’s 240Z, there were no cell phones and my only nasty surprise could be a Mennonite horse drawn carriage.

They still sell motorcycles and people still buy them…If you drive it into a wall at 65 mph, EVERYBODY dies, no matter what…

The 240Z has one problem…It’s 6 cylinder truck engine is way to heavy for the amount of power it produces…

I’d change the brake lines on something that old. Any salt on the road would eat away the outside of the lines and any water in the brake fluid would eat away the inside of the lines.

it may be “underpowered”, but 3 carbs and 2 cylinders down make it more agile then anything we had here at the time.

the japanese sure pulled a number on them. wish i had one.

Power steering isn’t really a safety feature, it’s a convenience feature, especially in a car that light. It just doesn’t need it.

ABS is actually LESS safe with a driver who knows how to brake without it. (So basically it’s more safe for the vast majority of people.) Learn how to find the limit when braking, and you won’t need it. (You’ll also end up never using it in cars that have it, even in situations where most people would…well, depending how aggressive the ABS is.)

Handling is a factor in avoiding an accident, and there aren’t many cars better than a Z car in that regard. So that’s going in your favor.

But that car is going to be crushed like an aluminum can in most high speed crashes. You’re well equipped to avoid an accident…and I suggest you do.