Safety: Cars Vs SUV/CUV on Local Vs Freeway

No harm, no foul, good for you. I had parallel parking incident the other day, spotted an open spot right in front of building, eureka! Tight squeeze, cars parked both fore and aft. Pulled past the open spot, stopped, intending to back in. Another driver going the other direction sees the spot, makes an illegal u-turn, and tries to nose head-first into the spot, behind me, as I’m trying to back in. After a little dust-up where I mention if deputy arrives to sort things out I’ll have to point out the illegal u-turn, he leaves & I get the spot. All’s well that ends well I guess.

1 Like

Was it a big guy like mine just coming out of the bar like mine? I woulda let him have the stall.

There is a Seinfeld episode where they debate who is entitled to a parking spot, one who is prepared to back in, or one pulls in. Are you the real George Costanza?

:smile:Heh heh. I think the little guy could actually take the bald headed guy. He is in a relatively fighting stance and the bald guy has got his feet together. One little shove and he’d be on his rear. Never approach a guy with your feet together like a girl. So he loses. Not proper way to park anyway. :smile:

They are each halfway into a parallel parking spot with a standoff. George and his drama;

Seinfeld: The Parking Space - YouTube

Oh I see. I missed that episode. Still in drivers training you pull up, signal light on, and begin backing. The guy does look kinda fit though.

In my younger years… well, let’s just say I would probably get into trouble and loose the spot anyway. Now, I would probably just say screw it, it is not worth it and find another spot. unless that little devil on my shoulder from younger years reared its ugly head again. :wink: :rofl:

1 Like

Men generally have a lot of trouble just walking away from a situation when they feel they’re in the right and being taken advantage of. Even if walking away is the obvious commonsense solution. In another Seinfeld episode Jerry’s house-cleaner steals a small plaster statue from his apartment. Statue has little to no dollar value, and not much sentimental value either. Jerry, George, Kramer, Elaine discuss what to do:

Elaine: It’s worthless. Just forget about it !
Kramer : No! Not gonna happen! He wronged Jerry! We’ve got to confront him and get it back!

Which they do.

The photo above is nearly exactly the situation I was in. Only my car was further back, better planted in the parking spot. The other guy’s car, the rear end was sticking out into traffic more. Peaches weren’t 89 cents/pound either … lol …

I thought I was going to CarTalk Community but somehow ended up at OLD TV SHOWS . com

I had to come back and edit . Did not notice I accidentally made a web link .

2 Likes

I ask my wife to deal with some things.

1 Like

Old shows illustrating vehicle parking confrontations. The normal daily discussions usually involve old politics, old department stores, old college memories, old yard tools etc.

Good idea. From my experience as well, women indeed seem to have more commonsense than men about how to deal w/ certain types of confrontational problems.

She can be a better hard nose than I :laughing:

Actually I’m the one that tries to break up the fight when my sister gets going on someone, but in general I agree. Then again, guys tend to fight fair except for reacher. Women have no rules.

Fifth Gear has done some incredible real world crash tests and shown them on TV.
The 120mph Focus into concrete, the Shogun vs Civic T-bone accident, the Renault Modus and Volvo estate crash.

1 Like

As one example, Volvo 960 VS Renult Modus at 40moh
Fifth Gear - Size Doesn’t Matter (Crash Test) - YouTube

Just my thoughts.

2 Likes

Look at the Yaris and Camry crash at the end. Size does matter!

The airbag in the Yaris bottomed out. Notice the 90s cars in the previous test where the airbag did not bottom out.

em @wolyrobb - so we need to rethink the conventional thinking of size matters.

Renault Modus with 5 star rating from NCAP against the bricky Volvo 940GLE wagon/estate! Volvo loses! Design, construction and crash testing matters!

How is the Volvo 940 versus modern compact the solution to this conversation? The 940 is a car from the 80s.

If the Volvo 940 had airbags it would have been fine. It’s actually safer for the rear seats since the car is bigger.

There was one crash in the news where a Volve S40 I think it was with 5 high school students in it hit a Mercedes head on. Everyone was killed. There was no intrusion in to the occupant compartmen of the Volvo. Now it seems like the news story is gone, like they don’t want it to be found.