Sad news for Impala lovers/drivers

My first and last Impala was from the sixties. I was in trade school in the late seventies. To me it was a clunker for old people. But I liked it. It was roomy. I was driving through Indianapolis on my way home, and noticed that the paint on the hood started bubbling. Pulled over, popped the hood and carb was on fire. Put it out with my suit jacket. It wouldn’t start so I got stupid mad. Had $300 in my pocket. I told myself I was going to walk through town and drive home in another car. First car lot I found (about two mile a walk) I told the salesman "ya got something for three hundred and I’m on my way. He took me to the back and picked an old Chrysler Newport. (Huge). Didn’t even drive or look at it. Handed over $300, drove it home. Ran good and had effeminant shag carpet everywhere except the steering wheel and seat. Even on the dashboard. Next day drove to the Impala. Turned the key and it started right up. Had two cars no money, and needles to say I didn’t last too long at school. Within a few months I bummed a ride back home to Michigan, and started the next chapter of life. Loved that Impala though.

GM is trying to make vehicles that will sell in large masses to the average consumer.

Our community is comprised of a much larger portion of car enthusiasts then the overall population of car buyers who stick with what is trendy. And sedans manufactured by the big 3 are most definitely not on that list of trendy vehicles.

1 Like

Marnet, Google 1957 DeSoto and tell me those fins aren’t gorgeous.

3 Likes

I’ve rented a newer Impala and I hated it. Very comfortable ride…but being tall I had to have the seats all the way back. And when I did that - the door pillar was now even with the middle of my thigh. To egress the vehicle I had to move the seat forward. Very stupid design.

Good looking car I was never a big chevy fan but the two best body style’s IMO was the 59 and 61 I owned a 65 and 61 one had a 283 the other had a 327 I know chevy fan’s will differ with me but I drove other chevy’s some with the 350’s and never could understand the popularty of the 350’s to me the 327 seemed to be a better engine.

CF

1 Like

Agree the 57 Desoto was a good looking car but I think the 59 was better looking but as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I drove a '59 Impala on a short trip in the '60s. It had a 409 4bbl with powerglide and at wide open throttle the transmission remained in low well past 90 mph. It was a battle ship that needed acres of ground to turn around and a box full of cash in the trunk to keep the tank filled. At the time I didn’t care much for the style, in fact '57 thru '61 full size Chevrolets just didn’t suit me while the Corvair and Chevy II looked awfully good and drove much better. But as they say “beauty is in the eye of the beholder.”

Of the '60s, my favorite was the '67 4-door hardtop:

2 Likes

In a way, but too extreme for my taste. If going extreme on rocket ship inspired tail fins, the horizontals look better to me. But then what is nice is when there are a variety of distinct styles available to appeal to differences in taste.

While admiring land yachts, how about the 1965 Oldsmobile 98? My parents had the four door sedan with B pillars, gold exterior and interior. But I admit that the '67 Impala looked better.

@texases That '67 was a great looking car!

Side note on 50s and 60s land yachts; the holiday editions looked great but the side windows rattled too much. That’s why I always preferred the sedans with B pillars.

Mike, I’ll take the Impala and you can have the Avalon. Then we’re both happy!

That’s definitely going to leave a mark…

In the winter of '65 I had one semester to complete at a small liberal arts college in Illinois, 1800 miles from my home in Seattle. I went to talk to the financial aid officer and explained I did not have money to complete my education and had paid for everything so far myself because my father believed it was my responsibility. I got a $1200 (!!!) loan to finish out the year. On spring vacation I drove home ( 38 hours ) straight through in my beat up '58 Biscayne . I got a couple nights work at the Richfield Station and there was a 6 month old '65 Impala, midnight blue 327, 4 speed for sale for $2400–the owner had lost his job. I talked to my dad who loaned me the money and drove it back to Illinois at the end of the week. ( No to an education, yes to a car!) . Hid the whole semester from the financial aid officer!. Fun car. 15mpg cross country . Still own 3 Chevys–37, 69 Malibu and 80 El Camino but I drive Camrys.

Hey! My 1962 (sitting in my driveway right now) has a 283 with a deuce, single exhaust, and 2-speed Powerglide. Power steering, too. It’s a black 4-door hardtop with aqua interior.