Saab lives to die another day

“LOTS of design/redesign will be required.”

Absolutely. But buying Saab is still the least expensive way to get into the car business.

I’d be happy to bet anybody $10 that no ‘Saab’ electric will roll off the original line withing the next 5 years. Just too many things to go wrong, too much money needed to make it happen.

Like a lot of other “brands”, I could see a SAAB electric, now that the name has been sold. Remember, they slapped SAAB on a Subaru and GMC, SUV. Nothing says that a few exclusive models from say Teslar just to name one, couln’t be badged as a SAAB. There are plenty of gullibles who would throw cash at a SAAB if in name only.

You’re right, that’s my bet, a ‘Saab’ electric, built in China…

Just to expand on the “gullibles”…we were helping friends with one launch their boat. I suggested they NOT under any circumstances use the gas from last year , not knowing what additives if any had been used. I suggested that in the future, they dump the gas in their car rather then keep it over the winter. Response…not in my Saab ! Yet, they indicated they would gladly dump it in some other car. I reminded them, to no avail, that marine engines are more expensive to repair then car motors as most still use carbs. Every year it seems, their boat motor need carb work as a result of using old gas…i just don’t get it. They still talked about the mystic qualities of their Saab…good grief !

“There are plenty of gullibles who would throw cash at a SAAB if in name only.”

They could have paid a lot less for the name rights. The electric car builder wanted a complete car that they could drop their electric drivetrain into. Saab fits the bill perfectly.

Plus the factory with trained workers and engeniers… Seems like a good fit… The final Saabs shipped to the USA are going up fro auction next week but mostly to Saab dealers, rental agencys, and exporters, not to the public or even regular dealers.