SAAB ABS/TC Problem

I have a 2001 Saab 9-3 Convertible with ~75k miles. I have had problems with warning lights. (ABS, TC, Brake, Trainglewith !) Mechanic says codes indicate a problem with the ABS/TC unit. An $1,800 part plus service. I see adds for rebuilt units for as little as $150. 2 questions 1) Is this a reliable fix? 2) is this something I can do myself?

A rebuilt unit might work, but the problem could be in one of the sensors sending info to the computer unit. It is a complex system with lots of variables. When and how often have you had the brake fluid changed? If never, that might be a place to start.

In general, there isn’t a lot you can do yourself on an ABS system failure. Replacing the computer might be a simple plug in, but does the new computer need some kind of programming or reprogramming to function properly?

Thank You
I bought the car last year. Not sure about the brake fluid, but sounds like a good suggestion. The Service I was looking at would rebuild my unit and suggests not programming required.

You may have a wheel sensor or other problem, but for $1800, you mechanic has no intention of diagnosing the problem, he is just going to start replacing parts. In light of that, you loose nothing by getting the rebuilt control unit and bolting it on yourself. You will be buying one anyway, and who knows? you might get lucky and save yourself $1650.

Thank You. I love that answer, and sense some great wisdom!

I am having a similar issue with my 1999 saab 9-3. Did this fix your problem?

Thanks!
Bridgett

It’s been a few years, and gave up the car due to a oil light/blown engine issue.

My best recollection is that I used BBA Reman or a similar company on line and my local mechanic did the swap for a few hundred dollars.

Good luck,

g

:skull_crossbones: