Rust underneath backseat on 2015 Corolla

Just an update. The dealership never contacted me back, but Toyota Corp. called me this morning. I emailed them the pictures and the representative said it wasn’t normal for a new car to have that much rust and that they’d contact the dealership on my behalf, and would send a representative if necessary. Thank you everyone for all of your insights and suggestions!

Good to know Toyota is helping you resolve this. Best of luck.

I bet the replacement part will not be painted unless the dealer paints it just for show…Apparently a batch of these unpainted parts got wet at the factory or during shipping and they rusted a little before the car was assembled…Unsightly? Yes…Important? No…If you go poking around in a car, any car, you will find unpainted areas and parts that they feel will never be seen by the owner…Behind the dash, under the headliner, behind interior panels, these areas seldom get painted…

But its a new car and the 2nd biggest moneypit you can buy.

I read an article in Road & Track about how the Pantera bodies made in Italy were shipped to the USA unpainted and unprotected and resulted in lots of rust issues for FORD during the 70s. Can you imagine why any company would allow for this? Just like this on the Tojo, just bad business. Rocketman

Good for Toyota. Keep us informed on how this issue is resolved.

A leak would continue to provide water, and that would wash off rust onto the floor beneath the rusted parts. If there is no staining of the carpet or metal floor, then the parts were likely installed rusty and the rust has grown over time.

Update part 2. I heard back from the dealership. They said they spoke with Toyota and that that level of rust is in all new Toyota vehicles. I must say that I’m surprised.

I’d check directly with Toyota regional headquarters. Dealers are not known for honesty.

I would ask to see another new car with that amount of rust. Hell, I am shopping for a CUV and being the RAV4 is on the list, now the 1st thing I will check is under the seat.

Ask to meet with the factory rep at the dealer. At the same time request to inspect 3 other cars for the same condition.

Well seems to me now is the time to take the law into your own hands. I just bought a can of paint and a brush for $6. 30 minutes later with some drying time and you are done with it. Or keep hitting your head against the wall with Toyota. Feels so good when you stop as they say.

Before doing any painting myself, I would want to get Toyota USA’s official opinion, in writing, from them and not verbally via a dealer.

Send a letter via certified mail; refer to the previous communication you had with them by phone, and ask for them to assure you it’s not a problem, or to take corrective action or at least recommend what corrective action you or the dealer could do…

Don’t be nasty, be curious and assertive. If you are worried about it, let them know. If it makes you wonder about Toyota quality, let them know that, too.

I’ve having an impossible time believing that Toyota made a statement that the level of rust shown is normal on a new car.

I agree with SteveC76. Pin the rep down at the dealer and check other cars.

We’re supposed to believe that rusting away is normal when the teats on the tires haven’t even been scrubbed away yet?

Only way I’d paint it is off the car, which requires disassembly. Hard to tell how difficult that would be.

The seats come out easy, two plastic covers and 4 14mm bolts. If the car has side seat air bags their will be yellow connectors going to the seat. It is recommended to disconnect the battery first in this case.

It is not a big repair job, easy to do even at home, repainting the part. BUT the point is this is a new car. It should not have any issue like this. Period.

So much for the supposed famous Toyota quality,I guess their vehicles are so “bullet proof” they had to “crack the spar”(cant have one lasting too long).
Seriously,I dont like the idea of acceptable rust,is that what we had in the 60s and 70s?I can go buy an old car and paint it.