Runs Terrible - Gas Pedal hard

Hello,

2004 Ford Taurus 3.0 L Vulcan Engine

New problems with my Ford Taurus. Check engine light came on and the things is running terribly. It is making a loud tapping noise. It takes much longer to start than normally but starts up the first try.

It barely sputters. It literally sounds like the worst running thing possible but it usually runs so good! No problems before hand. it just began while driving normal.

I’m getting a check engine light code P2197.

I looked at the vacuum hoses and they looked fine. I took it to a mechanic and he said it was something internal and the best thing would be a used engine that he could put in for $1700 including the engine. It has 150,000 miles and already had transmission issues. I put a used transmission in a few years ago.

I don’t want to invest much money. Just trying to see what is going on and possibly save it if possible before scrapping the car at the junkyard. I would maybe for a few hundred into it but not that kind of money. I would rather purchase something different.

I took some things apart today and checked the push rods. I thought that might have been the loud tapping noise. They look fine along with the rocker arms.

I see the code could be oxygen sensor ( I don’t think it would make it run this terrible would it )

I also see the code could be the fuel injectors. Any help would be great!

You have 3 threads about this vehicle that is at the end of its life cycle . Just take what a salvage will give you and move on instead of pouring money down the drain.

Is there anything I can do to save this vehicle?

I’m not so much concerned with using this as my daily driver or anything. I just would rather look into it for the experience rather than get $250 from a junkyard. I thought it would be a interesting experience to try and repair it.

As previously mentioned I have another ford Taurus for parts that was wrecked a few years ago. Alot of the parts are still good. So it would really cost me much to try and check into it.

With the P2197 I would be looking for a vacuum leak.

Check the PCV valve and the hose to it, It’s a common problem on the 3.0 vulcan.