Run it to the ground or . . . (I know, I've read the posts and articles, but . . . )

Within about 8 mos. I will need to replace a 2006 Sienna w/163K miles w/a newer van for ADA reasons. I’ve owned this van since 28K - garaged nightly, maintained religiously . . . due for a timing belt change (first was changed at 73K miles when an up-selling dealer was doing work under an extended warranty). Send this one on its merry way and avoid the $750 timing belt/pump change, or defer a new van expense until the spring and spring for the belt now (figure I’d put on another 6K miles between now and then). I know matrices etc., just looking for gut feeling reactions on a 14 year-old van. thanks

I don’t know why you want to wait. I would start looking for the van that meets the need now . Find it and then just sell this one As Is.
But the thing is you will get many different answers so you should do what ever lets you sleep at night.

You are overdue for a timing belt change and pushing it another 6 weeks may not be the best idea.

Sienna’s of the same year and mileage are going for $6,000 to $9,000 in my area.

If yours is in as good of shape as you claim, I’d spend the $750, just for peace of mind to get me through the winter.

Me, I’d defer the timing belt job and inform the potential buyer’s it’s due, and offer them a discount. That way you don’t lose use of the vehicle while the car is in the shop, and even better for you, don’t incur the risk of the job being done incorrectly.

Everything I’ve seen for this model sets the interval for the timing belt at 90K - I had it changed at 73K (water pump was leaking so I changed the belt while they were in there) so I think I am at the line, but not overdue -

If I was getting rid of the van, I’d gamble and leave the timing belt alone. Especially since it’s been replaced once already…

If you are going to trade, the way I look at it is you pay for it anyway. They’ll deduct the cost of the service from what you’ll get. So pay it now or pay it later. Same thing with brakes, tires, etc. They inspect the cars just for that reason. If the tires are down to 3/32, they factor in four new ones. Now all bets are off for a private sale but if someone told me it needs a belt and this and that, I’d wonder about what else.

I doubt they’ll inspect or even ask about the timing belt when you trade it in, though…?

Could be wrong. The only vehicle I ever traded in that had a timing belt was a 99 Camry with 208k miles. No one asked about the belt. We had it changed at around 100k miles, though. In case they were wondering.

1 Like

four matching tires - two from Dec 18 and two from early July :slight_smile: new front brakes - it’s a solid vehicle, but it’s also 14 years old

The maintenance and tires are of little importance to the dealer at trade time, the dealer is not going to replace the timing belt or tires before sending that vehicle to the auction.

I have replaced many timing belts on the Toyota 3MZ engine and I have seen many owners that will not have the belt replaced, original belts with more than 150,000 miles. I have never seen one of these engines towed in with a broken timing belt, I would not fear driving this vehicle for another 5 years with that timing belt.

1 Like

It is a toss up. I say either buy your next car now or change the belt. I know you are close based on mileage, but how is it based on time?

Bear in mind that you are not likely to get much extra for the car because of the new timing belt, even if you sell it yourself.

If you trade a car in to a dealer, unless it is in excellent condition with very low miles, they’re going to sell it at auction. So unless there is some glaringly obvious deferred maintenance, such as worn-out tires, they aren’t going to ask or care.

However, if you are planning to sell a car private party, prospective buyers who are savvy enough to know about required maintenance are going to ask about such things as when the timing belt was replaced–and want proof. I know that when I am shopping for a used car, “excellent condition” means that the car looks good, runs properly, and there is proof that all necessary maintenance is up-to-date. If there is no proof that necessary maintenance was done, especially something as important as timing belt replacement, then my assumption is that it was not done, and that I will have to do it, so the amount I’m willing to pay will reflect that.

I dipped my toe in the private sale market on this vehicle and was up front that the timing belt is on the short horizon. By the same token, they get a vehicle that was pampered for the last 11 years. Really appreciate everyone’s thoughts here, they are very helpful - thank you.

There is only one person I ask about any financial decision and that is my wife. We do not care what anyone else thinks , period.