Roadside Assistance in 2018?

AAA–4 calls per your, but I’ve used none, so far.

So you’ve paid $75 or so for 4 years (or $300 total) for a jump start (or a tow?) and to be yanked out of a ditch. So that would have been a cost to you of maybe $200 without AAA? So it cost you $100 more to have AAA than just calling a tow truck? I hope you used their other services.

This was over the span of 2 different plans; Better World Club, and AAA. I paid between $50, and $70 the first year. This was for a jump start, in my driveway, and to be pulled out of a ditch. The second club I joined is AAA, both the service calls were with Better World Club. The cost was the price I paid for BWC membership. AAA was $52, so I paid about $120 over 4 years. Worth every penny. I was not about to call an anonymous wrecker, in a city where I knew no one.

But that is exactly what AAA did. It doesn’t take a BBB star to be an AAA tow operator. You’d be better off using Yelp ratings. Sorry, but an AAA affiliation doesn’t guarantee a good tow operator.

Your math doesn’t add up. paying between 50 and $70 a year for 4 years adds up to more than $120.

I paid the $50 - $70 once, over the past 4 years, I don’t have the original receipt, so I’m unsure how much I paid.

Most people, here, professionals, or not aren’t very friendly, which makes me very apprehensive when it comes down to receiving service from any entity.

What’s unacceptable?

This: “My friend waited almost 24 hours for this guy to finally show up.”

Yup…it is unacceptable. And unfortunately that’s what you get with AAA in some of these very remote areas.

1 Like

Gee, I’m guessing the nearest larger city is Concord, or a city in Vermont. So much for them saying that they serve the entire USA.

It depends on the plan level too. I’m glad I have my AAA, granted I don’t pay for it. My dad has always paid for it and doesn’t let me kick in. Our local grocery store gives a small discount so we actually use it quite a bit anyway. It sometimes gets us a better price for hotels too, so I wouldn’t call it a complete waste

Concord is the capital. Largest city is Manchester. But up north near the border it’s all rural towns. Not a lot of businesses up there besides tourism.

I’ve driven from Boston to Portland, ME. I had to catch a ferry to Yarmouth, NS. I returned to Portland, in order to visit a friend, but I did not have the opportunity to explore, New Hampshire. Maybe, I’ll see more of New Hampshire, and Vermont soon.

The grocery store discounts are great, but I cannot use the gasoline discounts, due to needing Top Tier gas; the discounted gas stations don’t offer it where I live.

Ditto!
And, using it doesn’t count as a claim, at least with my insurance company.
:grinning:

We have the AARP, 3 times my daughter has needed a tow, they brought a flatbed, I was happy about that. There is a 100 tow limit, and we had 2 40 mile tows to the mechanic bud in the boonies. I called as on Fri noticed a roofing nail in my sidewall. No tire shop could get me in as we were leaving Sat am for the cabins.
An older guy in a pickup came by, less than a 1/2 hour. Put on the spare, but the lifting mechanism is like a one time use. Plastic gears broke. He fought a while to get the tire lowered, I provided some 2x4s to help leverage the tire down. We put the tire on the roof rack and strapped it on as the spare tire lifting lowering mechanism was toast.
edit:100 mile tow limit
Fine by me.

I contacted Amica about this,

I need their reply. Hopefully, I’ll see it tomorrow. NOT an emergency,
my AAA expires in September.

Just waiting…

Wow! That must have been an experience Barkydog,

Some of the reviews I read about AARP’s roadside service weren’t very flattering,
but all companies have good, and bad reps.

Thanks for the reply,

edit:100 mile tow limit

100 tows of one mile, or one 100 mile tow…

No more than 100 miles per tow.