Ridiculous 40,000 mile check-up

I should warn you that Honda and Toyota would probably have treated you the same. After 160,000 miles, your factory warranty was long expired. Honda and Toyota automatic transmissions can fail too. In fact, the Civic, which has a reputation as one of the most reliable vehicles around, has a reputation for failing automatic transmissions at about the same mileage, sometimes less. Do a search on this site for “Civic automatic transmission” and you will see. Keep in mind, the results won’t include all the posts whose authors don’t know how to spell “automatic” or “transmission.”

The point I am trying to make is that having a major repair at 160,000 miles doesn’t mean you have a bad car. Whether your next vehicle is European, American, or Japanese, you should expect some major repairs after the 150,000 mile mark.

The Volkswagen dealers in the DC area have a horrible reputation for obvious reasons, and women get extra special shabby treatment. Things have gotten worse and I understand they have cut the mechanics hours, so the mechanics are now inflating the amount of work that needs to be done in order to earn a living.

I learned my lesson when I went to a VW dealer in Alexandria for a brake problem and they told me I needed to spend $1500 on the brake work and another $1200 for a valve leak. I found two highly rated VW repair stations on Consumer Checkbook and they BOTH told me that the estimates were outrageous. There was no oil leak.

In the end, I spent $450 and 2,000 miles leater, the car still runs perfectly.

You HAVE to do your research to find an honest repair station and ask them to give you back or show you any parts they replace. That’s another area where people get ripped off.

Good luck!

You are correct in your complaint. You have been taken. High cost is related to the repair of the VW. It is irrrelevent to this case. The checkups surely should have found these faults prior to this extreme expense. I am angry along with you. Ethics comes into play. I guess it is related to the DC area. I would have opted for them to keep the car. Then went and purchased another vehicle. They may have 300.00 in the parts if that much. VW is not good pertaining to repair and maintenance.

Nancy,

Find a new garage to take care of your car. Ask friends, neighbors, co-workers where they recommend you take your car. I can make a recommendation if you are near Columbia.

jtsanders, I don’t think Nancy is still reading. Someone brought this thread back from the dead.

Okay as I read this, because the child was with you, you felt rushed and did not exactly catch all the wordage that the service writer was telling you. Phone the GM or owner. Record the conversation and tell them what you are going to do if satisfaction not obtained. Call the local TV station, which does not carry their ads, and ask which is their slowest news day. On that day tell them you will be at the dealership, the approximate time, picketing in the front with cild. reason you were slimmed. Yes I haqve seen adjustments made afterwards.

This thread is 2.5 months old. I think she has found her solution.

True, I have found my solution. Of the $2631.13 we originally spent on this service, we got $689.01 refunded by simply complaining. Honestly, their explanation of why they were refunding this amount made no sense to me (the amount is a piecemeal of various elements of this service).

We’re heading to Volkswerks (an independent VW repair shop) next time, and renting a car from Enterprise. There’s just no way to get this dealership to deal with us in an honest manner.

I AM saying do not buy another VW, Nancy.

People ignore reliability issues and buy VW because they like the looks of it, perhaps the driving feel; the styling; maybe it seems more sexy; etc. That is a person’s choice.

Now, you are a grown up person with a baby to care for. You need a car that runs and runs and runs, and the styling and driving feel and sex stuff can go pound sand.

One poster thought you should be out there under the car with a repair manual. Amazing, when you made it clear you are swamped with child care, which I understand very well. Do not have a car for the wrong reasons, then be forced to spend lots of time keeping it running, running to the shop; etc.

That is exactly why Toyota surged ahead in the last year or two to sell more cars in the US than anyone (if I understood what I read). People who have other things to do besides think about cars (which for many posters here is a main hobby) buy Toyotas or Hondas.

Every member of my family who has bought a Toyota or Honda, even Mazda, has said they will never buy another make, ever.

40K service…$698.30?? what for, what did they do for that ransom???
engine mount after market is $49+ labor 75= $125.00 (local non dealer shop).
Battery max $75.00
Tail light bulb $54.50 (rediculous) bulb costs only $5.00 you could have done it at home.
Rotors if not turned ever in their life time does not need to be replaced they just need turning ($50.00) Pads metallic $150 both sides.
I do not think drive belts crack at 40K…but benifit of boubt, still 150 at local shop.
benifit of doubt for oil cooler…
No way you needed coolent flush. $0.00

Total cost to you in a local shop = $555.00 (priceless)

BTW I own a passat (60K )and get all service at a local shop… there is a lesson to learn here for all of us -“go to local shop and help economy”…Sorry for your experiance at the VW dealership.