Retrofitting cylinder deactivation

Hi! I was looking at some various reports of gadgets that could potentially install on your vehicle to improve it’s mpg/alternative fuels. Many of the reports said that a lot of the devices that I was looking into (including the HHO injection kits, you know run on “water” kit) were really ineffective. I did see that some car manufactures have revistied the cylinder cutoff switch; and I’m intreged and wondering if this could be retrofitted to work on my 2000 Wrangler (4.0L strait 6). It would be great if I could use all 6 cylinders for 4wd, going up mountains and pulling a load; but use only 3 or 4 cylinders for the rest or most of the rest of the time. Is this feasible or a good idea? If so, what will I need and where can I get it/potentially have it installed if I can’t do it myself?

Nope, there’s no way to retrofit cylinder deactivation. It’s not just shutting off the fuel, it requires the valves to be shut to reduce pumping losses. That requires a redesign of the valve system.

You’re right to decide the available add-ons are worthless. Best bets: proper maintenance and careful driving, gentle on the gas and brakes.

Cylinder deactivation systems are complex. Not a practical retrofit. Perhaps you can sell your 6 cylinder Wrangler for a 4 cylinder Wrangler.

Your vehicle has the aerodynamics of a barn door. It’s never going to get “good” mileage unless you keep it under 40 mph…

I agree with all of the preceding posts, and I want to add that if a kit of this type does exist for your vehicle, the cost of the parts and the labor to install it would likely equal the book value of the vehicle.

The best way to improve your fuel efficiency is to not drive this Jeep.

I love it when someone says something like “How do I improve the fuel economy of my Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI?” or “My Hummer uses too much gas.”

I suppose you could just swap your V6 for an I4. I have seen a Jeep run with a four banger, although not very well.

That is helpful, I was indeed wondering if my engine would be compatable with that type of thing or not. Thanks!

lol. yes it is very not aerodynamic. I know it’lll never be able to get “good” mileage, I’m just trying to see if there are any feasible options for improvement. About the post above this one (from UncleTurbo); that is a good idea, I looked into it online, but it seems that the 4cylinder wrangler only gets very slightly better mileage due to it’s having to work harder. There heve been times I really needed to use my engine’s horses, and that’s why I was looking into any capabilities to switch between all cylinders and half or so. Thanks.

You just can’t turn a tiger into an elephant. Some cars are designed for specific purposes, such as your Jeep for rugged off road outings. Others are made for high mpg, and others for towing. When we try to make one vehicle do everything, there are compromises.

If a 4 cylinder Wrangler won’t work perhaps you should consider buying a high mpg used car and keep the Jeep also. Use the high mpg for trips to the supermarket and the Jeep for trips to the woods for fishing. I’ve got a high mpg compact car, a convertible, and an SUV for towing a horse trailer and a boat. I get to choose the best tool for the task at hand.

Wow, you have quite a nice automobile tool box. I was thinking about doing something similar myself, but where I’m currently living I can’t fit another vehicle and it’d cost me too much. I think I’ll trade my Jeep for something with slight off road capabilities with lite towing. Maybe if I can, get a dirt bike for fun. Thanks for your post, good point on the Tiger/Elephant.

Old post, i know.
I’ve been wonderign all the time if it would be possible to retrofit a cylinder activation system by putting closable valves on the exhaust port to retrict the airflow, as of building up pressure in the cylinder. Same deal on the intake port, could that be possible?

Those are total scams, will not do anything except empty your wallet. And, they are dangerous. You would have a container of mixed Hydrogen and Oxygen gases, an explosive mixture

Theoretically, yes…practically, no.