Resurrect or sell/donate this 1991 Sentra?

“Then a mechanic there would fix it and either drive it or give to his 16yr old son or daughter.”

—Not at the shop I use.

Really? After the shop you use gives you a $4500 bill to do the work? then offers you a reasonable price to buy it from you so you can avoid paying almost 5 grand? Happens ALL THE TIME.

Like I said prior…Do the work YOURSELF and its worth it… At the “Shop you use” ? It will NOT be worth it.

Do what you like… Ive only been doing this almost 30 yrs now… I dont know what Im talking about

Blackbird

—Why? A well-maintained, recently inspected and repaired car, with new tires, battery, etc, with ~80k total miles, would not be capable of freeway driving?

That is sort of my view as well. Once you drive it locally enough to work out any original or un-repaired defects. long distance driving at reasonable speeds is fairly easy on the car.

In December 1964, I took leave from Ft. Lewis and want back to the Midwest to get my 1953 Chevrolet, the one which survived my insane testosterone years. I put in a rebuilt engine and transmission, and drove it around for a week or so. It started and ran good around home, except the automatic choke was stuck, so I just blocked it open and started it by pumping the pedal. Not sure if I ever fixed it, can’t remember.

I left one day at noon and 50 hours later had driven 2050 miles to Ft. Lewis. On the way, I picked up a mechanic whose mom lived under the Aurora bridge in Seattle. I assumed having a mechanic along would be a good idea, but had no need of him. He had been rolled in D.C. and needed a free way home.

With a new motor I kept it down to around 50 mph, until we hit an ice storm in Wyoming. We were the only car out there on the Interstate so I boosted it up to 60. Scared the poor Seattle man stiff. In Seattle they don’t know how to drive on ice and snow, at least not back in 1964 I did know how.

Going through the mountains at night, a major blizzard came through, and they kept closing the roads behind us, but we beat it through.

When I got back to Ft. Lewis, a few days later, we did get ice and snow. Those poor California guys, their cars weren’t up to it at all. Hee, hee.

Shucks, I had worked outside in zero weather installing that engine and transmission so 25 degree weather didn’t bother me at all. But, from Ft. Lewis into Tacoma, there were cars abandoned every mile or so.

Anyway, even 50 years ago, an old car could drive across the USA days after new motor and tranny with no problem at all.

I have seen what Blackbird has described. Years ago, a fellow worker had an old American Motors car. It was in good shape, more or less, and his daughter liked it and drove it. One day she told him it had died in the street. He went to where she was and sure enough, it wouldn’t run.

He had a mechanic check it who told him his timing chain (belt?) had broken and it probably wasn’t worth fixing, but he would give him a few hundred dollars for it.

He had it towed home, and bought the parts to repair it. While he was gathering his tools, he had a thought. He took off the distributor and had his daughter crank it over. The distributor rotor turned.

He thought a while. He drove out and bought a can of gas and poured it in the tank. The car started right off. The gauge was bad, and she had forgotten to fill it often.

So, yes, Blackbird is telling it right. Good man. That mechanic obviously knew very well that timing chain was not broken and hoped to get a good driver cheap.

I think you diy or get service done, I would take a chance on the probable $2000, to have everything done, You cannot get a better used car for that price imho