1987 Nissan Sentra XE

I have a 1987 automatic Nissan Sentra XE- two barrel carburetor, mileage 212,880. The car has one major problem that is going to get me hit driving it in rush hour. Most mechanics will not touch the car due to being carburetor. So any advice would be very much appreciated!!!

Let me explain: the car idles real rough at times, hesitates at stop signs and red lights, about stalls out on me when I press the gas pedal to go or when I start to make a left or right turn. However, other times the car has little to no hesitation and idles perfectly. I have not been able to come up with a good a pattern with this problem.

I have replaced, fuel pump & filter, spark plug wires, coil, distributor, ecu computer, ran sea foam through the fuel system and have replaced many vacuum hoses.

I’d suggest bringing it to a mechanic that WILL work on carburators. Sounds like you may have a problem with the accelerator pump and perhaps even the float, both common problems in old carbs.

I agree. A complete off-the-car rebuild is probably in order. Rubber diaphrams, gaskets, and seals are all old and brittle. Float valve and seat are probably worn, as well as throttle linkage bores. This car is 26 years old.

Thanks for the advice.

I took the car in to a mechanic and they discovered that the problem was the timing was off. 12 degrees retarded. Apparently, the mechanic who worked on my ignition system screwed up the timing because he did not know what he was doing. The mechanic also said that he had never seen such an old carburetor in such good shape. Nothing stopping it up. So I did not insist on having it rebuilt.

If it’s running fine now, leave the carb alone. Easy to mess it up.