Resin spray for tires to increase traction in snow/ice

We ordered a resin tire spray that has supposedly been used in Scandinavian countries for years to increase traction by 300% on snowy or icy roads. But I’m aware that 300% of nothing is still nothing. Supposedly, one application lasts for 50 miles. It’s touted to be biodegradable (veggie-based)and harmless to tires. Our car is an '02 Toyota Camry. Do I just apply to the front wheels since they are the drive wheels? Does this stuff work?

Many years ago, I remember buying a product of this nature and I found it to be essentially worthless. Of course, great advances in chemical science have been made over the past few decades, so perhaps this version will be better.

However, I am still very skeptical of something that you spray on the tires and I would strongly suggest that you invest in a set of 4 winter tires if you want a significant improvement in traction.

It was around years ago. It did help, but not 300%. Likely that was an “Up To” 300% which is closer to 50% average. On the other hand it did help and could get you out of a tough spot that was not too tough. I might say that lasting 50 miles had to be also an up to number.

It’s value was limited to getting you out of one spot maybe per application. It never caught on. My take it it was an interesting idea but had too limited application and few repeat customers.

Sorry I don’t see how it can work in snow…Maybe ice.

The tires may stick to the snow, but what does the snow stick to???

Is this like those self sharpening Austrian steak knives! Probably just beet juice. Many counties are now trying that for roads.

They might help, but the 300% claim is dangerous. When I read it I laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair and hurt myself.

Good winter tires with lots of tread left, and care and technique, are unbeatable as a solution to bad weather. No spray can match their results.

About 10-12 years ago, Prestone came out with a spray on tire traction product. It was a brown sticky spray that coated the tire tread. If I remember correctly, the stuff lasted up to 30 miles. I used it once and didn?t notice any benefits. The stuff was designed to work on snowy/icy roads. Once you got on dry or wet pavement, the coating would wear away quickly.

If you use this kind of product, don?t get it on your clothes or on a good pair of gloves. If it gets on your car or your fingers, you?ll need Bug and Tar removal solvent to get it off.

You really don’t want to get any on you. Trunk Monkey works better. Thank you BustedKnuckles for the trunk monkey assist.

Anyone not familiar with trunk monkey…

OK, I fell for it. I think it was more like 1970 or something that they had that can of brown spray stuff. I bought a can and tried it once but didn’t do much that I could tell. I think you are far better off to get good tires and reduce your speed in bad weather than trying the miracle cures. Had about 1/2" of snow this morning and there were a few people with some surprised looks on their faces when they ended up in the ditch. Yeah, it is slippery so what will 10-20 MPH less cost you in time? Not much.

Should have been more specific (first-time poster); intent was not to substitute this stuff for good tires & sensible driving, including reduced speed, but to aid just a bit in getting out of a tight spot (as noted). Most of us are aware that claims far outdistance the actuality; just wondered whether anyone had any experience with this. It is not brown sticky stuff (several generations removed from that?), but goes on clear and shiny. Used it when caught in a storm but probably it was careful driving and good tires rather than the resin spray that got me home without incident when others were sliding.