Replacing the knock sensor on my '98 Nissan Pathfinder?

I have a '98 Nissan Pathfinder that runs well, except the check engine light has been turning on and off for the last three months or so. It’s throwing a code for something concerning the knock sensor. My mechanic said I can get it replace for about $350, but that it was running alright so I could get away with driving on it if I didn’t want to spend the money right now. How long do you think it will last if I for-go the repair now? And will it do any damage beyond reducing my mileage? The car has been good to me despite being 11 years old and having 150,000 miles, so I’d like to keep it in good condition! Thanks for the help!

I’d try to replace the knock sensor your self for only the cost of the sensor. It only screws out and the new one screws in. Its probably a pretty easy job, but if you cant reach it from the top, you might have to access it from below, which means jacking up the vehicle and reaching up through the tangle of pipes, wires, etc. It might go into the water jacket, so you may want the new one standing by with pipe dope on the threads ready to swap out if you see any antifreeze leaking when you loosen the old one. I bet they’re not more than 30 bucks. I haven’t changed one on a pathfinder, so I could be wrong on some of the details.