Replacing Oil Pan for My 2008 Honda Element

Just curious, is the steel vs aluminum a dissimilar metal corrosion problem? Or something else? If it was just the dissimilar metal problem you’d think you could design the adapter insert to use a gasket or something so the metals don’t touch.

Thanks, @ok4450 , that’s all I was looking for.

OP, it appears that, at least for the question of using a Time-Sert for your oil pan, the answer is “maybe.”

I’m unaware of galvanic corrosion on any oilpans. They’re isolated from the engine and tranny components by the gasket (or silicone bead), and galvanic corrosion doesn’t usually occur unless there’s an electrolyte present to allow ready conduction and especially if the different metals are in a current conducting application. Neither of these two conditions exists in this application.

I haven’t really though deeply about this particular application, and welcome the inputs of others, but I think it’s a nonissue. It is, however, an excellent question.

Galvanic corrosion will still occur between an aluminum pan and a steel drain plug, but it will be very very slow. The oil is changed often enough so that is not a problem.