Replacing headlights with brighter non-LED ones?

Is there a easy way to replace the bulbs in a 2011 honda accord? I just want to replace the low- beams for now. The videos I have seen you have to take off the front bumper or take out the front wheel and fender to get to the bulbs.

Try just turning the wheel all one way and loosen the fender liner to reach in from there . . re-attach fender liner . .turn wheel the other way to do the other side.
If turning the wheel isn’t enough room . . then remove it.

Quite a few aftermarket headlight assy’s have projector lense versions. For awhile the projectors were pretty popular on GM cars/trucks. I think all new Hondas still use reflector style lights. I think it is for looks, not light output. The big shiny chrome reflector just looks flashy. Would a hid bulb work well with an aftermarket projector lense? Or would the heat melt it?

I just watched a video on installing LED headlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHQZrSh4sqo and for the one hes using https://www.amazon.com/LASFIT-Headlight-Bulbs-7600LM-6000K/dp/B01EYQ8660 he just installs it like a normal bulb and it looks like it’s focused ok. Is there something I am missing here? I am leaning towards installing LED now for the longer life.

Melting wires? the only way that can happen is if the fuze is too large, or the wire size is too small, design errors.

Fuze size is selected to protect the wiring, plus other factors. But it has to protect the wires at least.

You just made my point. Compare the Silverstar to the Lasfit, they look very different. Try them if you want.

I know they look different but why would you need to focus them?

Have you looked to see if your lenses need polishing as was asked earlier. I used the restore product on an vehicle and it made a big difference.

The reflector is designed to work exactly with the exact location of the filament. Different location for the LEDs means they won’t have the intended pattern. The difference may not be enough to cause a problem, I don’t know. I’d prefer to stay with the Silverstars.

Since LED headlights are alot easier to install than I thought they were and have come down in price since I last looked and they last alot longer than halogen I have decided to go with LED. What is a good LED headlight to get?

I knew I shouldn’t have gotten involved in this but was suckered in. This is beyond my pay grade. My advice, buy new bulbs. Want HID or LED? Buy a new car.

1 Like

Did you just ignore everyone’s advice and then ask for more advice?

The gentlemen in this forum will likely accommodate you, because they’re consummate gentlemen, but I wish they wouldn’t.

1 Like

One thing to keep in mind is that overly bright or colored bulbs may attract the ire (and ticket book) of the local sheriff. You can be cited for overly bright or off colored illumination. Nothing will fix a sharp cut-off of illumination as that is a function of headlight focus and not power. Even HID lights can be focused higher if necessary. I would have your headlights adjusted and your lenses checked for clarity and treated for cloudiness if they are cloudy at all.

One thing to note regarding headlight alignment: I asked the dealer to check the headlight alignment on my 2005 Dodge Dakota and was told there is no alignment - that is a set and forget function from the manufacturer. That may be the case for other cars as well.

In a properly aligned headlight, a brighter bulb isn’t going to blind anyone. But you’re right, anyone having trouble seeing at night should have the alignment checked, as well as their eyesight, as well as the age of the bulbs since they get dimmer with age, especially HIDs. The biggest gain in night vision can come from cleaning the inside of the windshield. Even in non-smoker cars, a film builds up which causes halos.

1 Like

That’s true if you live in a flat area like much of the great plains states or North Dakota. It is not true if you live in New Hampshire or upper peninsula Michigan. The dips, rises, and curves that comprise the secondary roads in these areas cause even headlights aimed properly to hit oncoming drivers in the eyes, fortunately for only short periods
 but long enough to cause accidents. HID headlights are not appreciated by many of us who live here for that reason
 they’re blinding us. If someone cannot see well enough with good incandescent bulbs, they need to determine why and get that corrected
 rather than blind the rest of us.

While it’s true there may be an eye sight problem, I couldn’t believe the difference with my first car with HID headlights. The road was light daytime and even illuminated the deer in the ditches far enough ahead to do something about it. I am just as impressed with LED now. But those are factory provided. Otherwise the Silverstars are the best for standard halogen replacement. Of course in my humble opinion.

Definitely know what you mean. I live in the mountains of NW VA and HIDs are the worst - they come over a rise and that intense flash of blue-white light is dangerous. From what I’m reading, HIDs are on the way out. The US is way behind Europe in headlight technology because DOT is like gear oil on a cold morning. HID bulbs are very expensive, start dimming early, can be difficult to replace and manufacturers that are waiting to go to LEDs are using projector headlights instead of HIDs.