Replacing Evap Canister - Did it cause all these problems?

You either try and fix the problem yourself or you pay a mechanic to do it. It’s really as simple as that.

I’m in Southern California and I recently paid $200 for a mechanic to replace the MAF on my ‘98 Crown Vic. For whatever that’s worth.

1 Like

What problem? That’s the issue here, not the labor cost. The labor is quoted at $91 from $130/hr - it’s a charge separate from the $350 part cost. The canister looks like a bit of a pain to get to and to get out on my car, so that might be worth it to me. As for the part, if I do need it replaced then I just want to make sure I’m getting a fair price. I called the mechanic today to ask if what he’d order is just the canister or if it’s a full assembly with replacement hoses and valves attached like in a link I posted above. He said it’s just the canister itself and that replacing the attached hoses, etc will be more, so it’s a $100-$170 markup from the part sold absolutely everywhere else, including another mechanic down the road.

The problem is that this guy’s diagnosis is very likely incorrect for the too lean code and likely incorrect for the fuel pumping problem too, so I probably don’t know which part is a problem yet.

I can’t try and fix a problem or pay a mechanic to do it if I don’t know what the problem is yet :-/ From what everyone here has said, it sounds very unlikely that the canister is the cause behind the too lean code, so I’m not going to take this one mechanic at his word.

I’ll be getting a second opinion tomorrow or Friday. Then hopefully it’ll be as “simple” as just paying for the service or doing it myself.

Thanks very much guys! I’ll be getting a second opinion tomorrow or Friday. If he gives a more likely solution then I’ll start with that and go down the great list you guys have helped me with :slight_smile:

I’m simply telling you that you are either going to fix it yourself or have a mechanic do it. If it’s a second opinion you are seeking then go for it. Just don’t be surprised when the end result will be more or less the same.

To me it sounds as if you have two separate problems here though.

If the induction hose is the same thing as the air intake boots then you were right :slight_smile: I took my car to a second mechanic today and they found big tears in the hose. I prodded them myself and can see them pretty easily too. So this will be the first fix and I’ll hope that solves the problem completely! If not, then on down the list!