Replacing a Ford Escape 2011

We have a 2011 Ford Escape 4wd. It is rusting. Need input on better lasting 4wd same size or bigger

What kind of rust are we talking about here? Just surface rust on unpainted surfaces or are body panels rusted all the way through? Where you do live? In a place that sees lots of road salt during the winter or in a warm dry place where it never snows? Your vehicle isn’t very old, so it might be under warranty, and if it’s not, it’s just barely outside the coverage window and Ford might be willing to help you out.

It is coming from the inside of the fender and thru the paint. My son-in-law is a certified Ford Mechanic and an excellent body shop here have told me Ford will do nothing and even the pro says any fix he does will not last. I have a 2004 Misubishi Eclips with 160,000 miles without a speck of rust. We have 80,000 on the escape and are going to drive it until it falls apart. What I want to know is what is available to replace it’s size and configuration that is a quality product. I realize that there will be a compleat change in configuration by the time this vehicle is dead but I have no knowledge of what exists now that people have found to be quality.

I live in Illinois where salt is every where. I just do not have knowledge of which companies build a decent car now. I worked 18 years at a Mitsubishi assemble plant and they told us that rust was a thing of the past. My 2004 Eclipse shows me they were at least right.

Rust generally isn’t much of an issue these days. I would certainly not expect a 5 year old car to be rusting through so soon. I don’t that that your esacpe is indicative of the general state of modern rustproofing industry-wide. I would seriously consider seeking out the Ford regional/Zone manger and let him/her know the situation, what you’re experiencing is not normal.

With that said, comparable vehicles would be the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, Subaru Forester, Chevy Equinox, BMW X1, and Hyundai Tucson. The Honda, Toyota, and Subaru are generally considered to be the more reliable of the bunch.

1 Like

I’ve heard that Ford rust warranty is only for perforation, so if there’s any hole because of rust then it is covered by warranty.

1 Like

I just looked at the Ford website, specifically the 2011 model year warranty guide

here’s some info . . .

(3) Your vehicle’s body sheet metal panels are covered for an extended
Corrosion Coverage Period, which lasts for five years, regardless of miles
driven. The extended warranty coverage only applies if a body sheet
metal panel becomes perforated due to corrosion during normal use due
to a manufacturing defect in factory-supplied materials or factory
workmanship. For damage caused by airborne material (environmental
fallout) where there is no factory-related defect involved and therefore
no warranty − our policy is to provide free repair of paint damage due to
the airborne material for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs
first.

In any case, the vehicle might be past the 5 year point, depending on when it was sold

I agree with @FoDaddy . . . talk to the regional/zone manager. There’s absolutely nothing to lose