Replacing 1993 Plymouth Voyager Minivan

I have a 1993 Plymouth Voyager minivan with only 86,000 miles on it. I use it 1 - 4 times a month to haul PA system,instruments and amplifiers to play music. I also have a day job to which I commute with a 2003 Toyota Matrix. I’m looking for a replacement vehicle. I value fuel economy, handling in winter driving, and cargo space. I’m considering a Ford Transit Connect, but am open to other suggestions. Any thoughts?

I think that’s a very reasonable choice of vehicles if you wish to spend the money. It won’t be ideal for winter driving, but with winter tires, it should be just fine with the few miles you travel. Really, another minivan of any make would serve you well too.
I wouldn’t worry so much about the mileage as long as you are using it efficiently and only for an intended purpose. Having to make extra trips with an inappropriate vehicle would use more gas. You’re right on.

At 1 to 4 times per month, I would not be concerned about gas mileage. Find an inexpensive minivan or small truck that is about 4 years old and in excellent condition.

Another possibility is to get a SUV that can haul the equipment and provide excellent mileage. If you buy a 2010/2011 Chevy Equinox with the 4-cyl engine, the mileage will be about the same as the Matrix. If it is large enough to haul your equipment, you could sell both the Voyager and Matrix.