Replaced Exhaust System damaged the Rotars?

I (somehow) crushed my exhaust system, unbenowst to me, and had to have the whole thing replaced. When the car was returned to me two weeks later, the brakes were bumpy. I called the service center, who said that the rotars had rusted while they were waiting for parts, and that it would wear off in a couple of weeks. It’s 5 weeks later, and still bumpy brakes. The service center said they would shave them down for $150. I think a/ this is a fishy story and b/ I shouldn’t have to pay.

How can this happen in just a couple of weeks and will they wear down on their own? I drive about 4-5 times a week.

I accept that the rotors rusted while the car sat waiting for parts, no error on the shops part here. Perhaps you try and strike a deal with the shop about reducing the 150.00 for rotor turning, The only obligation the shop has is to themselves in regards to retaining a customer.

The little bit of rust that accumulated should have worn off with no ill effects. It sounds to me like the rotors are warped, not rusty.

I do not recommend turning rotors. It makes them too thin and prone to rapid warping. If the rotors are warped or rust-pitted they should be replaced.

Warped or rusted, it’s not the shop’s fault.

The OP intimates that the “bumpiness” is new. Rust could occur while the car sat in the shop, but rotors would not warp by themselves sitting in the shop. Now, IF the shop took the wheels off to do the exhaust work, and IF the shop overtightened the lug nuts, might that not warp the rotors?

Again, this rather far-fetched rationale presumes that the OP is right about the wobble’s being new, and I’m just looking for a way that the shop could have damaged the rotors.

If rusting rotors were a problem then every new car or used car sitting on car lots everywhere need new brakes.

This bumpiness did just happen after receiving the car back. The car had been driving perfectly. I only knew the exhaust was crushed because my tailpipe was crooked and starting to melt the bumper.
MikeInNH has a great point-- it was only two weeks sitting still, so I’m not sure how this much damage was done to my brakes. And for the record, before handing me the keys the service center warned me that the brakes would be bumpy “for a few days”, so even they knew it was a new problem.

I’ve never known exhaust work to involve removing or servicing the wheels or brake components in any way.
This sounds to me like the OP has their mind made up and is simply looking for someone to corroborate their opinion.

I struggle with the notion that the exhaust system was crushed, the entire thing needed to be replaced and the OP has no idea how this happened. Even stranger would be that there was no additional, collateral damage done. Bottoming out a vehicle enough to crush the entire exhaust system is not something one forgets about easily. Whole thing seems a bit wierd to me…

Thanks. I did say that the rationale was far-fetched. I guess it was even too far.

Well, I’m taking the service centers word for the fact that it was crushed. I only noticed a crooked tail pipe-- and I Know I never ran over anything or into anything. The whole thing does some weird.

Why take their word for it? When something doesn’t sound right or is expensive, say “show me”. If they won’t or it seems bogus, get a second opinion. Trust but verify…

The story is very plausible. However it did not turn out to be the case.

It is very difficult to make rotors “bumpy” on purpose. Hardly worth the shops effort to annoy a customer.

You definitely need to pay whether it is this shop or another. Stuff happens. How old are these brakes from the last replacement?

I’m having a hard time with the whole story but . . . stuff happens, I guess. How can you crush the exhaust enough to distort it 'till it melts the bumper? And how can sitting for a week or two rust the brakes to the point where they get “bumpy”? If that were the case, all the cars on new and used car lots would have bumpy brakes. Nevertheless . . . I assume that the exhaust has been fixed properly, the melted bumper is not an issue and the only item to be dealt with is the brakes. Depending on how many miles/how old this vehicle is/condition of rotors in the first place . . . I would simply change them. $150 to “shave” them is all labor, and since you have them off anyway, change them. Rotors are cheap these days . . . maybe $50 each, with another $40 for new pads, and you have a whole new brake set-up (well, almost). Rocketman

Unless the car was sitting on a damp forest floor under the pine trees the rotors shoudl not have developed that much rust in a few weeks time. As others have sa

It occurred to me that perhaps whatever crushed the exhaust system may have also damaged the brakes. Have you explored this possibility?

Can any rust or the remenants of rust be seen on the brake rotors? how about a good pad cleaning? In any case explain how the shop should be on the hook for anything. Have you tested the level of torque applied to the lug nuts (so we can either rule this out or keep the possibility open).

Contrary to others observations I have seen rust develope on rotors of cars left in the lot waiting for repair, but It never caused a proplem what so ever.

Is your car alergic to vanilla ice cream ?

Rusting rotors is not the problem

I’m guessing that they had/chose to remove one rear wheel in order to replace the exhaust. That isn’t usual, but it certainly isn’t unreasonable. I’m also guessing that the brake problems have to do with that wheel and just that wheel. I’m skeptical that turning all the rotors is either necessary or a good idea. I’d take the car someplace else for a diagnosis and repair – which may not be all that expensive.

As others have pointed out, yes rotors will rust a bit in two weeks. But the rust will normally come right off after a few stops. Shouldn’t cause “bumpy brakes”.