Replace the fuel pump or not?

Greetings.
I have a 2003 Grand Am that suddenly stopped running, prior to that as the gas qualtity would reach to low the “check engine” message would appear, but the last time the car came to a stop and I haven’t been able to restart the car.
Per parts store clerks, if I turn the key to ignition and listen for a sound from within the fuel tank; I should hear the fuel pump turning on. And lack of that sould would indicate that the pump is dead.
I have a code reader that I possible can attach to the car’s computer to see what the diagnostic would be. Do you have any suggestions on what to do?
If I have to replace the pump, what would it approximately cost to do so, please.

Thanks,
Sean

Even if you had a code reader or a scanner there is no code that indicates if the fuel pump is bad. If you don’t hear the fuel pump run for a second or two when the ignition switch is turned to the run position so the dash lights come on, then the fuel pump isn’t functioning.

What you might try is get under the rear of the vehicle with a rubber mallet and bang on the bottom of the gas tank and then try starting the engine. If the engine starts that pretty much confirms there’s a problem with the fuel pump.

Tester

A bad fuel pump relay will also keep the pump from functioning. Chances are if you can locate the relay there is another next to it that is identical (other than operating some other part in the car). Switch the 2 relays and see if that makes the car start, if so then you know what you need to replace.

There was something in there about gas getting low? I don’t know - it was a little unclear.

But, in any case, did you dump some fresh gas in there or what?

If the fuel pump doesn’t activate when you turn the key to the on position you likely either have a bad fuel pump, bad fuel pump relay or the inertia switch has somehow got tripped disconnecting power to the circuit.