Replace engine in 99 celica?

@keith this is a little off topic . . .

I replace my front crank seals at every timing belt service, REGARDLESS of what they look like. So that they don’t “catastrophically fail and dump all the oil quickly.”

Thank you for “inadvertently” agreeing with me about front crank seal replacement at every timing belt service.

The car does have a 1.8L engine. So if I get the engine replaced, do I need to worry about having seals replaced? The mechanic says he can get me an engine that supposedly has 75k on it, and will install it and replace the timing belt for $2400, with a 90 day warrantee . He also admits that he doesn’t necessarily believe mileage claims about used engines. Hmm…at least he’s honest?

@KTP1 according to the 1999 celica manual online, you have a 2.2 liter 5S-FE engine, which has a timing belt.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM20727/pdf/8.pdf

Please post back with what engine you physically have under the hood of your car. Look on the valve cover. It should say 5S-FE, as far as I know. You may also want to look on the underhood emissions decal. It lists engine size and engine family.

There is something very strange going on here.

Either you’re wrong about what engine you have, or somebody has located an engine which will NOT work for your application. Or somehow you have an engine installed which wasn’t originally there.

For your sake, double check and triple check these things.

Oh, gosh, I must be wrong! 1.8L sounded right, but the car’s at the shop and I couldn’t look under the hood.