Replace battery?

Even though my car has low miles (22K), it’s 6 years old and hasn’t been driven much in the last 6 months. I periodically have to try twice to get the engine to start. I took it for service and they tested the battery and told me there was a bad cell and that I should replace the battery. Is this reliable advice? Thanks in advance

Since they verified the bad cell, it would be advisable to replace the battery with a new one. You might “get along” for some time with the bad battery, but it may also cause you problems when it decides to completely fail, so replacing now can save you time and inconvenience in the future.

Thank you for your quick reply!

Check your tires while you’re at it. Once they get to be about 5 years old you should be watching them for signs of dry rot or other issues (like bulges on the sidewalls)

when a cell in a battery shorts it can cause problems with all your electonics, so if they have tested it and demonstrated to you (with a hydrometer) that a cell has failed, you definitly should spring for a new (preferably the highest current battery that will fit) one.

If that is the original battery it is six years old.  Time for a new battery, even if that is not the immediate problem.