Repair or replace Hyundai Veracruz

Brother-in-law has a Hyundai Veracruz reportedly with 210k. Year unknown but AFAIK the latest model was 2012. From what sister-in-law says, it needs $12k in repairs, starting with an engine rebuild. I know used vehicles aren’t cheap but if it were mine at this point I’d replace it. Curious to know what other folks think.

Unless doing the job as a hobby, me, I wouldn’t rebuild the engine. Too many unknowns. If transmission ok, I’d install a used engine, or move the vehicle on.

2 Likes

This is a no brainer , replace it.

3 Likes

$12 in repairs on a vehicle with more than 200k miles and over 10 years old??? No way! Either find a cheaper solution, or sell it as-is as a “mechanic special” and buy something else.

2 Likes

Good time to walk away from this one $12K is a lot to put into a high mileage car

1 Like

2 Likes

I could buy two used cars for that amount.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. Now I can send dear brother-in-law a link to this discussion so he doesn’t have to take my word for it. I’d like to sell him my Corolla since I know its history and condition.

But does he even want help with this decision ?

No idea but the fact that he’s even remotely considering spending that kind of money on this particular vehicle means he needs it IMHO.

2 Likes