Repair Cost is quoted $4,000.00: repair or trade it?

On the same topic or close to it, I see as a family you guys stick to Mitsubishi’s or maybe I am wrong. I used to have a '95 Galant (My tag). In the Western Hemisphere they are not known for reliability. Mine started burning oil faster than gas around 150K miles. In the middle east they have a better reputation. All I am saying is if you are getting them at bargain price, it might be worth it, but the dealerships are getting fewer in number and parts are more difficult to find, so maybe reconsider the Outlander choice.

I am among those who feel that Mitsubishi is not long for the American market. Add the few amount of dealers just makes it worse. I also agree do not pour money into this vehicle.

It has also been rumored for some time that Mitsubishi will stop selling in the US. Given their current sales numbers, I’m not sure it will be noticeable, but it is likely to make parts more expensive and harder to find. I’d avoid buying another Mitsubishi for that reason. There is nothing particularly wrong with their vehicles, but they don’t stand out, either. You can get similar or better models from larger companies that are not likely to go out of business.

New cars cost lots of money to begin with while older ones cost money to repair. Minimize the money down the road and get something else. If dad doesn’t want to put more money into this one, that’s fine. But I would look for a two to three year old something else.

... I see as a family you guys stick to Mitsubishi's or maybe I am wrong.

I do agree with everyone regarding Mitsubishi. If I were to replace my 05 Galant ES, then I would choose my next vehicle as either Toyota 4Runner/Highlander or Subaru Forester/XV Crosstrek/Outback.

I’ll try to convince him on other vehicles. The last time I tried to do it, unfortunately, we got into an argument.

But I would look for a two to three year old something else

He drives a lot so am reluctant on him getting a used vehicle.

The best Mitsubishi ever did here was when they were part of Chrysler and had wide representation. We had a Dodge Colt and it was the cheapest car per mile we had ever had. Their quality and reliability, however, has not kept up with the rest of the Asian manufacturers, and their cheapest car today is no match for offerings from Honda, Mazda, Ford, Kia and Hyundai…

My brother had a couple of early nineties Colts he used for Courier routes. He loved them dearly, as they were cheap, durable, and decent to drive. Mitsubishi has fallen a long ways since then. Even in Japan their sales stink. I don’t know why they bothered selling the wretched little Mirage here. The reviews have been direct, most saying it’s the worst car sold in the US. That’s saying a lot when the Chevy Spark and Nissan Versa are available (and the Smart, but I have trouble thinking of it as a car.) Mitsubishi needs to improve their image, not drag it down even further by selling junk like the Mirage.

As a used vehicle, like the ones that we often buy, you only miss a year or so worth of driving but the monetary savings is significant, especially when you consider insurance and excise taxes. Mitsubishi will go the way of Suzuki. Decent cars to begin with but well behind other brands for parts and service and support. If you want security of ownership, you buy MORE popular models, like Accords, Camrys, CRVS, RAVs etc.

@MarkM is right. They are now in a free fall with some of their cars as far as building good autos. Suzuki now specializes more in recreational vehicles here in the USA and Mitsubishi does well with heavy equipment. Unless your dad buys an excavator, I would still recommend he stand clear of their cars.
http://www.machinerytrader.com/list/list.aspx?catid=1032&Manu=MITSUBISHI
A friend with a business would only lease and never buy them for his business for this exact reason. He did not want to be stuck with a vehicle with limited service.