Remove water from alcohol for fuel

Ive been trying to do some research about adding these water removers (stp water remover) to alcohol (65-80%) and have been coming up empty handed, and dont want to test it outright off the bat without some input first as it is drinkable alcohol, so the main question is, would it “remover” more of the water that is present in the alcohol and settle it out as a separate layer?

I was then also going to add fuel conditioner to bring up the lubrication of the ethanol before mixing it with gasoline. I hope this isnt confusing

Yes it is confusing. What does this have to do with cars?

Alcohol mixes with water so the products that remove water from gasoline are mostly methyl alcohol. You are likely using alcohol to remove water from alcohol… so not going to work.

1 Like

I do not know what you are trying to accomplish.
Ethanol may attract moisture. When too much water is present in E10 gas, phase separation may occur.
The “water removers” do not remove water, they keep low levels of water moving through the fuel system.

Please explain what you are trying to do.
What are you planning to fuel using alcohol?
The only way to remove water from drinkable alcohol, such as vodka, is to redistill the product.

2 Likes

Okay i just have a bunch of homebrew laying around that is various %s (65-85%) and wanted a way to possibly use it as fuel for my vehicle to get rid of it, (not a big drinker) it probably cost me a dollar or so a quart for the homebrew, distilling it seems the logical choice, Foaf cant seem to make it past the 85 mark with his current setup

Yup, that’s it. Water and alcohol mix very well. If you use products that attract water molecules preferentially then you must worry about removing the new compounds you created. It would be best to create a precipitate so that it can be filtered, but I’m not sure how to do that.

Just a note…

Any of your “home-brew” fuel may cause significant and expensive damage to your car’s engine and/or fuel system. Which would probably offset any “savings” from just pouring the home-brew alcohol down the drain.

Think hard on this one before acting. Good luck.

2 Likes

There’s a fundamental limit to the % that’s possible to achieve using standard distilling techniques. That’s why when you buy medical ethanol products you usually have a choice of 70% or 95 %. You must be using a method that achieves somewhere in between. It is possible to purchase 100% ethanol, usually called “anhydrous ethanol”. Suggest to google that term, maybe it will explain the manufacturing method.

I expect you already know that your objective isn’t practical. But as long as you find it interesting, good for you, and best of luck. Perhaps you’ll discover something that hasn’t yet been discovered.

It occurs to me that technically you would be first separating the alcohol from the gas and water and then the gas from the water due to the boiling points of the individual liquids. And while both gasoline and alcohol are dangerous to handle individually in normal use any efforts to separate them would be much too dangerous to be worthwhile in my opinion FWIW.