Remember that discussion on F1 and low-profile tires awhile back?

Well lookit this, they’re actually gonna do it:

I really liked in another article where it was revealed that the tires would be narrower as well, so that they look more like passenger car tires and make people think they’re related.

Yeah, because anyone ever looks at an F1 car and thinks “wow, that’s just like my Camry!”

It is going to radically change what F1 engineers do to the springs and dampers! The tire is a secondary spring with its own internal damping. The low profile tires will have far less damping and likely higher spring rates so the damper engineer will throw all his historical data out the window and start over.

At least F1 will be on the same tire page as the sports car racing series. Of course Indycar and NASCAR will still be running their 15 inch tires! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

If you haven’t already read it, I bet you’d like “The Chariot Makers” by Steve Matchett. Ex F1 mechanic, now F1 commentator for TV. Book’s about building the ultimate F1 car. It’s a bit dated now (it was written in 2004, so a lot of tech has changed) but it really does a great job of showing how all the components mesh together and how changing one means a whole raft of changes to others, as well as providing a very interesting historical development of F1 tech from the early days up through the mid 2k’s.

I loved and miss Steve Matchette’s (and David Hobbs) commentary during F1 races. Being an ex F1 mechanic, he has real insight.

Too bad the F1 broadcast rights went to ESPN in the US. ESPN2 just streams Sky Sports coverage with Croft and “shut the heck UP” Martin Brundle! These two don’t realize they aren’t on radio so WE can see what THEY see!

I’d be curious where F1 would end up if they just specified the maximum tire diameter and width, and let them optimize traction, handling, and braking from there.

1 Like

You’d end up with McLaren, Ferrari, and Williams dominating because they’d put tens of millions into eeking out wheel/tire combo performance optimizations that the other teams couldn’t afford to do.

Oh, wait, that’s happening anyway. :wink:

Yeah, I know there’s the intent of trying to keep costs ‘reasonable’, but it seem the money gets spent, no matter what.

McLaren (with the Renault engine) and Williams (with a Mercedes engine) only WISH they were dominating!

Williams is dead last this year and McLaren is 3rd from last! Mercedes and Ferrari are at the top, Red Bull is next, and 4th place is being fought for by the US owned Haas team (with a Ferrari engine) or Renault’s factory team.

I’m talking overall - yeah, those guys are having a bad year but… They’ve got exceedingly deep pockets and will be back on top very quickly. Those guys think nothing of spending more on their transporter than some teams spend on the whole car.

Lets just say many bad years…

McLaren hasn’t won a constructors championship since 1998 but did win the drivers title in 2008. Poor Williams hasn’t won either championship since 1997.

Didn’t stop them from receiving and spending hundreds of millions every year! Williams spends about $190 Million and McLaren about $210 Mill. Haas is fighting for 4th overall on a budget of only $130 Million - Impressive!

But since over 350 million viewers tune in for 2 hours broadcasts with the teams’ advertisers on their cars, equipment and uniforms, it is probably a pretty good bang for the advertising dollars.

$5 Million to run a midfield Indycar for a full season looks like a screamin’ deal but only 500K viewers tuned in even including the Indy 500.

Probably because Indycar is… Boring. :wink:

1 Like

Nawww, Indycar’s not boring! :smiley: They had a great battle last weekend at Mid Ohio. One car finished 6th after starting 24th. Passes all race long with no yellow flags. Great stuff at a great track! I’m gonna drive that track next weekend!

Now NASCAR… THAT’s boring!

1 Like

It’s a series dominated by ovals. Shiny things going in circles isn’t my idea of exciting. :wink:

And then when they do decide to turn right, seemingly half the time it’s on a city street course which limits passing.

I’ll admit, though, that you’re right - it’s a lot of fun at Mid Ohio. Road America, too.

1 Like

I enjoyed the Indycar race Saturday, too. Actually Le Mans can be pretty boring for much of the day.

The last time I watched a F1 race on the TV, I fell asleep and woke up just in time for the final couple of laps, which were essentially a parade on a track that has very few passing opportunities. Make a mistake and the cars behind you catch up with you. Second place was at least 100 ft behind the leader.

NASCAR is like short track speed skating in the winter Olympics games with three cars abreast and cars drafting each other and a finish line camera needed to determine the winner. Make a mistake and three cars pass you.

1 Like

Several times this F1 season, the best drivers have found themselves in the back of the starting grid. During the race those drivers have worked their way up to 1st, 2nd or 3rd. Fantastic to watch. Other races have been “parades” and boring to watch. They can’t all be gems!

As for NASCAR - I love the 2 (and now 3) road races they run every year. Powerful, heavy cars on skinny tires makes for lots of action. The long oval races make for a Sunday afternoon nap!

If it’s not interesting to watch, the sport won’t last long regardless how trick and high tech the equipment is.
You can’t pay out big purses when the grandstands are half empty.

NASCAR is like basketball, if you just watch the final five minutes, you pretty much saw the game. Let me know when it’s 10 laps to white flag and I’m glued to the screen. That’s the race, everything before is essentially an extension of qualifying.