Remember my 2005 Mazda 6 wagon thread? Now it's repair old or buy used

Thanks for that advice. It would have to be in my driveway. How do you avoid the salted road when doing that at a car wash and you have to then drive home?? And thanks for the “good luck” comment.

As some others have already suggested, I’d seriously consider a CUV

And do you actually NEED awd or 4x4?

I’m inclined to think a smaller fwd CUV would be just fine for you

He has the screen set too bright for night use, that is adjustable. Also, you can usually turn the screen off with the push of a button if you need interior darkness.

The Subaru you considered is classified as an SUV. Many SUVs are not “elevated” for off-road use, they are designed for daily transportation.

If you have a CarMax in your area, they carry about everything out there, I think they even have a 10 day trial, if you don’t like it, bring it back kind of thing…

CarMax offers a 10-day Money Back Guarantee so you have plenty of time to decide if the car you buy is right for your life. As long as the vehicle’s condition is consistent with when you purchased it, you can bring it back within 10 days to the store where you purchased it and we’ll help you complete your return.

https://www.carmax.com/faq/warranties/what_is_CarMax_return_policy#:~:text=CarMax%20offers%20a%2010-day,help%20you%20complete%20your%20return.

But you don’t have to buy there, just go and drive around their lot to see if anything catches you eye, or I would imagine the sales staff would be able to help narrow your search down as well…
And NO, I have no investment with them, just heard a lot of good things from mechanics that have bought from them…

1 Like

My daughter and her husband bought a Mazda CX5 from CarMax and are happy with the car and the process of buying it.

1 Like

Carmax is a good idea , I just feel sorry for the sales person who has to deal with this person.

1 Like

Car designs have changed a lot in 20 years, incorporating way more electronic gadgets and gizmos now… If you don’t like all the complexity, repair costs, etc that come w/ newer cars but still want a new car, suggest to consider one of three most popular sedans with as minimal a configuration as you can find: Corolla, Civic, Mazda 3.

You can’t. In my case my snow driving was usually to a ski resort, so lots of snow accumulation.
The day after driving in the snow, the weather has often improved, and the car was is lower in elevation so not as much salt on the road. But some salt remains, and that will eat your car away eventually. But at least you get much of the salt removed.

Thanks for the recommended cars to look at. Haven’t looked at a Corolla or Civic, but I did see/try the Mazda 3. It’s a “small” SUV and too high off the ground. Plus the inside, sitting in the driver’s seat, feels closed in.

Yes, I actually dislike all the bells and whistles on cars nowadays. And those navigation screens are terrible. My car had NOTHING as far as those things. I had a CD and MPV player? in mine, which I didn’t use, either. Don’t see those in newer cars.

I’m really not interested in a new car. Don’t want to spend upwards of $20-25k. Just want something that hopefully won’t cost $$$ to repair and gets me where I wanna go and will hopefully last up to 10 yrs. Probably asking a lot seeing as I have other requirements, but I hope I find it.

Yeah, I have certain requirements. If you feel sorry for a salesperson who isn’t able to make a new car sale because of those, then…I don’t even know what to say. Nice guy that you seem to be. :thinking:

And I thought you were “out of here”…

1 Like

Don’t know if I NEED an AWD, Just figure it would be good for the winter snowy area I live in. FWD would be fine, as that was what my car was. I don’t need a 4x4 (whatever that is). No off-road driving. No long distance driving. Just regular commuting around town.

You say: Many SUVs are not “elevated” for off-road use, they are designed for daily transportation And they’re all made for a particular size person - probably at least 5’4-7 and over. Not for the height challenged 5’2 person, which is why they’re all too high for me.

My wife and daughter are both 5’2" and both love the Corollas, we have/had a 2002, 2006, 2009 (Matrix, same as a Corolla) and 2017…

Why do you assume I haven’t been to mfrs web sites??? You need to know everything I’m doing in looking? And no, no more remodeling. Don’t need a truck. Just want space for other things.

I’m just starting to look. I will try to look at all mfrs - Toyota. Honda. Nissan. etc. Don’t want to spend $25k or more for a “newer” car. And actual new cars are out of the question, unless some miracle happens that it has everything, or most everything, that I need and want.

My sister in law is 5’ and she loves her Honda Odyssey. Fourth generation (2011-2017) have fewer electronic extras than fifth generation (2018+). SIL has a 4G and we have a 5G (2019). The Honda minivans, and I suppose others, are easy to get into and have a ton of space. I wanted an SUV every time we bought one (3) but it was Mrs JT’s car we got what she wanted, the minivan. All of them have storable rear seats and the Chrysler/Dodge vans also have stow and go middle row. That’s very convenient and offers hidden storage if you don’t stow the middle seats. I don’t know much about the Toyota Siena except that there was one generation in the 2010s. It’s worth a look too.

Thank you! I’ll look into those. Although I really don’t want a van, maybe, who knows? Won’t know until I see/try them.

Thank you for the Carmax idea. Didn’t even know they existed. And yes, looks like there is one in my area. Will definitely check it out. Nothing online, though, in my area. Tons out of state though!

But those are probably sedans, aren’t they? Definitely don’t want a sedan.

That’s odd, are you saying your local Carmax lists nothing on the lot? Regardless, given your very specific set of requirements, going by and walking the lot and trying out the fit of lots of cars is the way to go.

1 Like

Yes, nothing on their lot in my area. Not much anywhere else, either, like, in other states. TONS of Kias everywhere though, which I’m not interested in at all. I really want a sunroof, but it seems they’re an anomally these days.

And I will go there just to see if they have anything that’s not listed.