Redundant AC Not Blowing Chilled Air

Definitely a gov’t speak. LOL My mother is so what I call “bureaucratized” (8 yrs. Army, 40+yrs. Federal Gov’t) that even after being retired for over 20 yrs. she still keeps notes on phone calls, even personal ones, and every thing is in at least triplicate.

1 Like

In a modern car, there are an insane number of reasons why the AC won’t engage.

In a vehicle I own, one of the inputs to the computer for the AC is the engine temp. If the engine is running hot, the computer shuts down the AC system to reduce load on the overheating engine.

Do not add refrigerant until you know it is low on refrigerant. If it is low, why? That needs to be known or you’ll be right back to the same problem in short order.

*Possible causes:

1. Electrical issues - bad relay, cut wires, corrosion, etc.
  2. Mechanical issue - Clutch gap is too big, internal of compressor worn out, etc.
  3. Faulty vehicle computer

I own a vehicle with a flaky computer concerning the AC. Blows ice cold air for a while through the front vents, eventually blows warm and stays there…I put it to defrost and I get ice cold air out the defrost vents…put it back to front vents and it blows cold…crazy…it’s an old car, so I just put up with it.

2 Likes

By redundant AC do you mean AC vents blowing to the rear seats? Is the air cold going to the front seats?

Does a low-cost sedan like an Elantra have HVAC vents for the rear?
:thinking:

By “Redundant” I was implying my post being redundant in that the forum has probably heard/read the question about low refrigerant many times before mine.

My low cost Accord has rear vents in the center console. In any event, the OP cleared up the mystery of what “redundant” means in this case.

Yes, but Accord prices start more than $6k higher than the starting price for an Elantra.

Ah, chilled air. I love it.