Recurring Sienna steering issue

The OP posted the problem over 13 years ago so I doubt they are waiting for guidance.

3 Likes

I have an 05 sienna with 117k miles. I hardly drive it, and have had it since 2014. I have had the rack and pinion, steering column, pump all replaced. Belts, even the harmonic balancer fell off once and that was replaced. Anyways, i continue to have power steering loss. It is mostly when its cold, and i will back out of the driveway turning one direction then put it in drive to turn the opposite direction and not even halfway through turning the wheel it gives out, and then i try to force it and the whole steering wheel starts chattering, like duh,duh,duh,duh,duh, shaking my arms and everything and a few seconds later i can complete the turn. In the winter is horrible, i will be able to make a few turns after gojng out if driveway to end of sub division, then bam halfway theough my turn i lose power steering and am stuck in the street.

After looking through this post a bit im not sure what my options should be. We are so broke i dont want to have the whole rack and pinion and everything replaced when that is probably not the issue. Its august now, we have had mostly 80 degree weather but yesterday is was in the low 70s and it gave out on me. Fall is coming up fast, any reccomendations? It can happen after driving for a bit and then ill go to turn into a parking space and same thing.

Just a thought. There have been problems with the Steering intermediate shaft binding on your vehicle and other Toyotas. you can try lubing up the joint to see if it helps. but it might need to be replaced.
There was a recall for the Harmonic Balancer, so hopefully you had it replaced through the recall. if not, you can get reimbursed if you have the receipts.

1 Like