Recommended Tire Sealants?

Will be going on a trip this summer so would like to carry along a “Tire Sealant”

Did a Forum search but did not find anything.

Did a Google search and found a number of different products but so far no evaluations of them.

This was interesting “Ride-On® Auto Formula tire sealant is an innovative gel that has been specially formulated to seal punctures, prevent leaks, balance tires, and extend tire life in all automobile, light truck, SUV, RV, van, and trailer tires. Ride On is designed to seal most slow leaks and punctures (efficiency of 85-95%) in the crown area of a tire caused by nails, screws, thorns, road debris, and virtually any perforating object up to 1/4” in diameter. Ride On also helps your tires maintain proper inflation and run cooler, which can increase their life by up to 25% or more (of course, this is critically dependent on how and where you drive your vehicle). A vehicle equipped with Ride On will benefit from better handling, better fuel economy, longer lasting tires, and most importantly, a safer ride. This version of Ride-On has been specifically formulated for passenger cars and light trucks – install Ride-On now in your car, SUV, minivan, or pickup truck to obtain these benefits for all your vehicles!"
http://www.ride-on.com/auto-and-suv-formula.html

Open to all comments

Ken

Run from it. Crary a full service spare instead.

Spray-in fillers make a mess inside the tire/wheel, and a lot of shops won’t work on one that’s had these things pumped into it.

Beyond that, any pump-in compound that says it allow the tire to run cooler is pumping balogna. A tire will dissipate heat better with no coating whatsoever than with any coating of any kind on its inside surface. This stuff is making way too many claims to be trusted.

I would carry a can of Fix-A-Flat. This product doesn’t make a mess inside the tire and is easily cleaned up when the tire is removed from the wheel for repair.

Watch this video. http://www.fixaflat.com/

Tester

Hi mountainbike,

“Run from it. Crary a full service spare instead.” Am unable to do so that is why I am asking for help to find out what really works.

Since posting have been searching and also found. “True Goo Tire Sealant will seal holes from punctures much better than other tire sealants.” http://truegoo.com/

So far I have found no independent lab tests.

Ken

Short of an ability to follow mountainbike’s advice, I would follow Tester’s advice. He knows what he’s talking about.

I’d also mention that you might consider one of those small 12V air compressors and a tire plug kit. It depends on what you feel up to but plugging a tire is not that complicated. It can take a little strength and sweat, but a quick roadside tire repair is perfectly feasible.

In addition to the points above, I’ll note that damage to your TPMS sensors is a possibility here.

+1 on Lion’s comment. That’s why mountainbike’s comment is absolutely dead on.
It isn’t worth the trouble.

Just carry a spare and a working jack, and be familiar with the use of them. As noted above, some of these sealants can damage your tire pressure monitor sensors.

I once had a guy balk at the $25 to patch a tire. He bought a $10 can of sealant instead. Then had to buy a $140 sensor.

Agree with Tester except, if you have to use it, when you get back, have the tire dismounted and cleaned out or it will damage the rim. It contains a lot of water. I have used it and it works, but it cost me a rim because I left it in there for a couple of years, the rim rusted through. Seen this on two other rims where it was left in. Use only as a repair, not a preventative.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the comments!!!

Have Steel Rims with tire pressure monitor sensors so am concerned about damage to both.

Have not found a “tire sealant” mentioning water free but have seen ads for Fix-A-Flat saying it is Safe for tire sensors. http://www.fixaflat.com/products.asp?page=1_0

Since posting have continued to search and found: Tire Sealants by: Greg Kopecky May 15 2012

Ken

These sealants make a total mess of the inside of the tire and wheel. When you replace the tire you might find some extra charges for “cleaning” the wheel as a part of the installation.

When a tire blows at highway speeds by the time you stop the car the tire is destroyed. It wouldn’t hold air and no sealant will work. The only time these things have a chance at working is when you get a flat as the car is parked. You walk up to your car and see a flat tire. Then the sealant has a chance to work, but you’d want to immediately get a new tire or the tire repaired. You can’t trust a tire with sealant will hold air for long.

So, best policy is make sure your spare is filled up to the proper pressure, check it like every 6 months. And if you can’t handle a jack have a AAA or other roadside plan. Skip the sealant.