Rebuilding with my son

Right, just the thing to put a 16 year old new driver in.: :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Use a Pinto engine…lol

But will gravity cause problems with the way the work turns out?

I’m not sure what you’re driving at. Why would it?

When I was repairing my upside down bicycle, I thought I had a problem with the chain until I turned it right side up.

Oh. The rotisserie is for body restoration work. Everything that will unbolt from the car is taken off before you put it on the rotisserie, so you just have a shell on it, so there’s nothing for gravity to mess you up on.

Once the body is ready to go and it’s time to start putting things back on the car, you take it off the rotisserie and put it on the lift (or jack stands if you don’t have one).

I take back my kit car suggestion, those things are EXPENSIVE.

Having done this for decades, here’s my advice. Go to local car shows and swap meets. Look for a car that is 90% done already. Buy that and finish what is left. Then think about projects to customize or make it your own. You’ll get a feel for the process without being in up to your ankles (head first). It’ll also cost far less in the long run and be ready for fun times much sooner. Kids lose interest in long drawn out projects much faster than adults and that could sour him forever. Start small and work up…

4 Likes

Oh I think I’d be very careful about this. I think Volvo and TwinTurbo have good points. At 11 he’s just getting to the point where interests will shift to more frilly long haired things plus school and outside activities will start to demand a lot more attention. I don’t think I’d do anything big. This is hunting season and I think back on the days spent with my dad duck hunting sitting in the boat in the cold and rain waiting for a duck to come by. Sure it was quality time but once I left home, I never wanted to see another duck. I fear that after spending many hours over 5 years on a car project, his taste changes and he’ll never want to work on one again and just hire it out.

I like the way you think and admire the way you express your thoughts.