Rear tire behind driver came off while driving 40mph

We just sold our 2016 Volvo XC90 and got Kia but never encountered any issues with Volvo.

So you can see from the pic above that it lands on the drum/rotor. The bump from falling to the ground is nothing to the suspension, the only concern is where the metal contacts the road service. In this case being rotors, it could be damaged or bent, so replacing it might be necessary. But thatā€™s about it aside from the studs.

Oh you know what, I was looking at your name out of the corner of my eye and thought it was the title. Ha! Yeah I whoopsā€™d that

I feel a steering alignment check and adjustment, as needed, is in order

it doesnā€™t take much to damage a lower control arm, for example

If thatā€™s not detected and corrected . . . the car may start eating tires

The photo makes it clear that the vehicle has rear discs.

The vehicle in question is a Kia Telluride, which is a large AWD SUV.

Yeah the photo was posted at the same time I posted so I didnā€™t catch it. I was in a Volvo thread recently and one commenter here had Volvo in the name so it threw me off when I saw it out the corner of my eye. Nonetheless though, the situation is the same.

I lost the right front tire on a Chrysler minivan. I was making a turn and not going very fast, but still, there was some damage. I got it fixed and drove it with no issues.

I concur that there could be damage. But that type of damage is not going to be subtle.

Sounds like the dealer is doing the right thing. Iā€™d wait and see after you get it back.

1 Like

Iā€™ve made my share of mistakes @asemaster. But my obsessive habit of critically road testing all repairs, even quite basic work, has kept me from wiping egg off my face. I have had vehicles brought back from an after repair test drive on a flat bed but luckily the owners never knew. But there were very few occasions that happened or I would have looked for another career.

1 Like

Every car gets a road test after any kind of service beyond an oil change @Rod-Knox . Even after replacing a window motor or a blower motor, I make sure the car gets driven to check for noises that might not have been there before, etc.

My last major mistake was several years ago when I still had my own place. I was finishing a routine service on a Mazda MPV and must have been called to the phone or otherwise distracted. Went for my final test drive and as I pulled out on to the street I thought "Hmm, I donā€™t remember that left rear wheel bearing being noisy. Then I looked in the mirror and saw lug nuts flying. Luckily the wheel came off only enough for the drum to land on the inner diameter of the wheel. I walked back to the shop, grabbed a guy and a floor jack, took one lug nut off the other 3 wheels, and drove back to the shop to fix it.

Thatā€™s what professionals do. Or should do. And what happens in the shop stays in the shop when mistakes are totally corrected so that they donā€™t affect the customer. If they slip by you they can come back to haunt you as we often see in posts here.