Reality of "Bad Gas with gunk (not water)" causing engine problem

My toyota dealer service and repair told me that my engine stopped working due to bad gas which had “gunk” not water in it.

I’m suspicious of this. the gas came from a Valero gas station that I always use.

Anything’s possible, but that is very unlikely. What, exactly, happened to your car? Model/year/miles/symptoms?

“gunk” in the gas should be filtered out by the gas filter…

Was your fuel filter plugged up or what?

Now I have picked up my car and a sample of the gas. There IS a layer of water as well as some “gunk” in the gas layer.
My car is a 2006 Prius, 36K miles. I was running low on gas, but not yet getting to the gas station when warning lights, etc came on to the dash board, so I headed to the gas station, but didn’t make it. AAA came, put $10. of gas in transported from my gas station to my car in their big gas can. I drove around town less than 10 miles when the warning lights came on again. I headed toward the Toyota dealer, couldn’t make it. AAA towed the car there. Next morning, Saturday, a call from the service mgr. "can’t figure out; I’m going to call a Toyota engineer on Monday. On Monday, the service mgr, called to say they think it’s “bad gas” that caused the engine to die. $l400. to replace the gas tank, including $375. to dispose of the gas that was in the tank. ]
Thanks for taking the time to think about this and possibly replying to me.
Mimi Wolfe

If it’s like my 05 Toyota 4runner it doesn’t have a replaceable filter.

I have a 2004 Prius. Just like us, our cars do not like “junk food”. I have found that I get better mileage and performance by not going to the cheaper gas stations (which includes the one on the military base near me). My mileage actually improves if I put better gas in there. Yes, it’s a little more expensive, but I hope to alleviate any major repairs down the road. My Toyota Sienna had a very expensive repair done (something with the valves if I remember right) - and it was directly due to the cheap gas we regularly used. I will use the cheaper gas stations (valero, Arco, etc.) if I am really desperate. Otherwise, I seek out a Chevron or Shell. a few cents more, but I really believe in the long run it is worth it.

put $10. of gas in transported from my gas station to my car in their big gas can

I think you may have found the most likely source of the contamination- their “big gas can”.

$l400. to replace the gas tank, including $375. to dispose of the gas that was in the tank.

OMG! They replaced the gas tank!?! That’s obscenely overkill IMO.