RAV4 Certified --what to expect/not expect

Hi beachcomber, if you bought this certified from the dealer you have nothing to worry about. Did the same years back and never had a problem.

I bought a certified Toyota. During my own inspection the battery had corrosion and the the speaker covers were cracked and the air filter box was missing the screws. I did my own inspection, gave them the list of things that they needed to fix and then got a good discount on the car. The warranty is a good piece of mind. Read the warranty booklet that came with the car and make sure you also go back there and show them your concerns. Toyota is not known for great costumer service. You let them know of your gripes now than later.

Having said above, a used car is a used car. So I guess you are good to go for now.

"I think the "stamp" says that certain things have been looked at, and they need to meet a particular standard."

That is the problem. There are no set standards. It is a marketing ploy that many fall for. It is the most recent “new and improved” craze. You ever stop and wonder why if a product is so “new and improved” they never stop making the old and supposedly not as good product??

I know that nervous feeling. I am still driving the first car I bought on my own. (Before it, I always bought my mother’s and grandmother’s old cars.) I remember that feeling of buyer’s remorse, when I owed $13,000, and had no idea if the car might be stolen or destroyed that day. Fortunately, the car was never worth less than I owed, and I have been driving it payment-free for six years. I am glad I never bought gap insurance. The feeling will pass, and when it does, you will be able to enjoy your Rav4.

A little bit of car salesmen lingo:

120 point inspection: It made it the 120 feet onto the used car sales lot

free Carfax report: we paid $20 so you won’t ask to have someone inspect it, then charge the $20 back into the car’s price

certified: Billy Bob or Skeeter took a look at it and said it was OK, so we’re gonna charge you a grand more, and hope you won’t want to have it looked at before you buy it.

Thank you. You raise a good question. Earlier in the thread I mentioned that I had my previous car for 18 years. Although I was sad to see it go, I have to say, I like sitting up higher in the RAV. Thanks, again.

It seems like most manufacturer dealers essentially “certify” all lease return/trade in cars that are less than 6 years old AND have less then 75KM on the ODO. I guess they take a gamble and with the high number sales even if one car has issues the profit margin covers that loss.

Thanks, so much. It’s amazing the thoughts (and conversations and memories) that cars bring up. I’ve had some good ones, and I appreciate your sharing yours.

Thank you. These comments have made my day. I’ll let my RAV do the same as your car. Many thanks. Beachcomber.

Thanks, much to both of you. A couple of summers ago I had rented a few cars during weekend specials and that gave me a little more time to get a feel for which one(s) I liked/didn’t like. I could tell when I got in this one that it reminded me of the ones that I liked and felt comfortable driving. Thanks, again. Beachcomber.

One could pose this question to the dealer who offers a certifed vehicle for sale that has (allegedly) gone through a multi-point inspection.

If this car was inspected in the dealer’s shop by their technicians there should be a copy of the Repair Order on file because the mechanic who did this (alleged) inspection has to be paid. He’s not doing this for free nor is the service department. They bill the Used Car Dept. for this procedure just like they would a walk-in customer.

Ask to see the service department file on any certified car and see what they come up with… :wink:

That is great advice! I had seen one for a different car . . . a lot of check boxes and signature lines. Thank you. Beachcomber

The difference between a “certified” used car and a used car is a couple thousand dollars. It’s usually a marketing gimmick. As someone noted previously, Mercedes Benz may be the exception to the rule. I have no more faith in a “certified” used car than any other used car. Anything should be inspected before purchase.

Tom and Ray have always advised that we ALWAYS have a used car checked out by OUR reliable mechanic before agreeing on a price or purchasing it. It costs around $100-$150 and is always worth it–for peace of mind, if nothing else. Even if the car is a beater and even if it is from a relative (particularly if it is from a relative!) That way there are fewer unpleasant surprises.

Quite frankly, 50k is nothing on most cars from major manufacturers nowadays, particularly if the car generally has average or better ratings for reliability and had been well-maintained. It isn’t just Honda or Toyota, but Ford, Hyundai, Mazda, Nissan, quite a few GM models, and even an occasional Chrysler…

Those guys are good, that’s for sure. I had such good luck with my previous car, but you’re right about having our personal mechanics take a look. Thank you. Beachcomber