Rattling Sound during Shifting

I have a '95 Nissan Sentra. It’s a stick shift and for the past couple of weeks 90% of the time when I shift there is a rattling (kind of sounds like a dragging muffler, but not as loud), can someone please tell me what this is and how serious of a problem

It could be a loose exhaust shield that resonates as the engine speed slows to a certain RPM level.

Is this essential to fix? and how much does that usually cost?

The heat shields help prevent the transfer of exhaust heat into the passenger compartment, potentially heat-sensitive engine parts, or the dry leaves and grass you park on, depending on where the shield is located. A repair can be as simple as a hose clamp or bailing wire to hold the pieces together, if they haven’t rotted too much. The shields aren’t generally available separately from the exhaust pieces they cover, so replacement with exact parts can be pricey. A replacement could be fashioned with sheet metal.

But don’t count on it being a loose heat shield. It could be a transmission or clutch problem. As a start, make sure the transmission is full.

Heat shields are a common cause of this type of rattling, but as NYBo implied it needs to be looked at. There are other possibilities.

Should it turn out to be the heat shield, it can be secured with a simple large hose clamp from the hardware store for under $2.00. That’s the common, easiest, and cheapest fix and it is permanent.

“Should it turn out to be the heat shield, it can be secured with a simple large hose clamp from the hardware store for under $2.00. That’s the common, easiest, and cheapest fix and it is permanent”.

And if you cant find one large enough you can always screw two or more together until you achieve the proper diameter