Quick question about ignition timing advance

I had a late-70’s VW Rabbit for 12 years, had some fuel injection system problems from time to time, but never had any bad fuel injectors. The only injector issues I had w/that car was the rubber o-rings that sealed the injectors to the intake manifold would sometimes split & fail. Yousr is probably the modern electronic VW fuel injection. Mine was the mechanical CIS K-Jetronic.

I was thinking o rings, but I won’t know until they’re actually pulled.

On the CIS system, removing the injectors is very simple process, easier than removing the spark plugs, which itself is a doodle. W. CIS each injector is connected to the fuel delivery system by a separate braided hose. A little prying with the appropriate shaped tool, out pops the injector, independent of the others. Most injection systems now have fuel rails you have to deal with.

If the injector O-rings were bad, gas would pool on the intake manifold and you’d smell gas.

Tester

I fear you are trying to do what i used to do when i was younger; fix something that aint broken.

2 Likes

On my old Rabbit, a failed o-ring didn’t exhibit that symptom. The injectors were long enough & the squirting end stuck well down into the intake manifold, plus the intake manifold vacuum would tend draw any wayward gas toward the engine innards . The symptom of a leaking o-ring was a too lean mixture, cause by unmetered air leaking past the injector into the engine. On that engine I could easily see if an o-rings had split just by looking at them with a flashlight. No need to remove injectors just for that.

Isn’t broken yet haha, I’m just chasing the problem. Shop I brought it to wrote it into the notes for the next time I come in that it’s most likely injectors and they noticed some odd stuff when you start it.

Try and start it with the accelerator pedal pushed down around 1/4" and see if you get a smoother start.