Question on coolant

Hello.
I have a question on engine coolant. So, my wife lives in England and I live in Virginia so it is hard to diagnose problems across an ocean.

Her LR Discovery has somehow been losing coolant so she’s placed more coolant and water mix into the radiator cap. But what I don’t understand is how or why you would be loosing coolant on a closed system unless there is a problem with like the radiator itself or maybe the water pump? there’s no visible leakage on like the driveway and she’s not seeing any burning issues but I suspect there has to be a leak somewhere.

Any insights?

Simple

Somebody . . . clearly not you, since you’re too far away . . . is going to have to at the very least do a visual inspection

Which might include putting the car on a lift or at least jackstands and having a good look

But it might be obvious, such as a crusty water pump or radiator

And that visual inspection might include removing all sorts of plastic splash pans and what not

If that doesn’t answer the question, somebody might even have to perform a pressure test

7 Likes

Or it could have a blown head gasket, and the engine is burning/vaporizing the coolant.

Does it put out white smoke when the engine is running?

There are tests for a blown head gasket; I’d take it to a mechanic. I can’t speak for the UK… but repairs on a Land Rover are probably going to be pricey.

3 Likes

The OP’s wife probably won’t see the smoke, the catalytic converter will get rid of the white smoke (of course shortening it’s lifespan).

Listen to @db4690’s advice. She’s going to need to take it to the mechanic for someone to get eyes on it. She shouldn’t be losing coolant.

1 Like

assuming this is not another one of your jokes. it could be something as easy as a loose hose clamp or it could be a head gasket leaking into the exhaust being burnt off. it needs to be pressure tested to find the leak if it cannot be seen just by looking under the hood.

She should take the vehicle to a shop so the cooling system can be pressure tested.

This tool not only tests the cooling system for leaks, it can also test the radiator pressure cap.

Tester

I borrowed that tool kit to find a leak in my Chrysler 3.3 engine. I pressurized the system at the radiator cap and the next morning found the puddle on the garage floor and traced it up to the intake manifold. It took me most of a Saturday to replace the gasket, but that and a tube of RTV made it an inexpensive job - much easier than a head gasket!

I think most of the leaking coolant had gone into the engine and out the exhaust, so no external leak was evident. Maybe this Land Rover will have similar good fortune.

My nearby O’Reilly’s loans the tool kit. Actually, they charge your credit card for it, and refund it when you return the kit intact and on time.

It’s not a joke. That was just a way for me to endear myself to you.

To someone else’s comments, no there has not been any smoke out of the rear (heh) but my guess is there is either a leak somewhere that is burning and can’t be found or, as someone said, there may be a loose clamp. It’s really cold in Yorkshire so I would not be surprised if a clamp expands or contracts due to weather conditions allowing a hose to slowly leak coolant while driving.

I don’t think it was appropriate

Or maybe I just don’t understand your sense of humor

1 Like

Do I smell TROLL ?

2 Likes

Not a troll, just a … (you fill in the blank). “Ha ha, you’re not as smart as me…”

3 Likes

Years ago on a holiday in Maine, my Chevelle’s water pump developed a small leak. I kept topping up the coolant until we arrived home near Toronto.

A good shop identified the problem after much testing and I needed a new water pump, as well as some other parts. The shop said towing a camper brought out the leak which would otherwise have gone unnoticed.

1 Like

Agree with this, and will add for @thundabutt that most of the trolls we get don’t go for the low-hanging fruit of skeezy names. In fact, it’s quite similar to what happened in the other thread. Play along, ask an on-topic question, jab at the respondents, veer back into on-topic territory, act like people have nothing to worry about, and keep asking questions.

4 Likes

Uh I don’t think reading horror books from the 70s makes you smart. I’m just trying to relate.

Your not doing a very god job of it by going the wrong way.

2 Likes

Can you at least write your wife an email which will walk her through a few very basic things . . .

Pop the hood

Look at all the hoses, thermostat housing and the radiator

Any obvious leaks or signs of dried coolant?

Maybe it will be something obvious

Let’s just stick to fixing your wife’s car and forget the other stuff

4 Likes

also you could tell her to put a big piece of cardboard on the ground under the engine. let her run it until operating temp and see if anything drips on it.

3 Likes

The Schwaggins name was pretty funny.

Sorry! I relate better to crude humor than horror films…or books. :laughing:

1 Like

The same happened to me 20 years ago. It turned out to be a burst seal, leaking through the weep hole while driving though not obviously. I was on the road on a long trip so I kept on adding leak-stop gunk and coolant until I got home and figured it out. Having a longitudinal engine made it easy and cheap ($27) to replace.

Even a fake question can start a good thread if everybody else responds seriously. Just because someone starts a thread doesn’t mean s/he owns it.

@RandomTroll No, I agree, and people generally responded in earnest. But like with the other thread with another user, if you keep it alive long enough and salt it with enough bait, you’ll get takers. So take it at face value and ignore the other stuff.