No they only repaired what was wrong due to accident. What I meant buy
repairing other things is once they start taking car apart things they may
find things not visible to the adjuster. Basically, when the adjuster left
my house he said it was pretty close to being totalled and once at shop and
taken apart it might very well be if they find any other things needing to
be repaired/fixed. So what shop did was not replace roof to cover other
cost when they should have just given the extra cost to insurance and let
them decide

Yes, you are right about that. You need them to revert to that plan instead.

Worth repeating
unintended consequences of reliance on gadgets.

2 Likes

Aftermarket backup camera systems are now readily available and easy to install (affordable to have installed). That might be wise for you. There’s no shame whatsoever in wanting a better view of what’s behind you.

1 Like

Two back-up cameras? Factory back-up cameras are directed at the road and surface near the vehicle, a second back-up camera can be directed higher but I think adjusting the side view mirrors for a better view and switch off the tilt down in reverse feature will be sufficient.

Do you have the tilt down feature switched on? 95% of my customers vehicles have this switched on an I must turn it off to back out of a parking space in order to watch for other vehicles. When the tilt down feature is on only the pavement near the vehicle can be seen, this is for parallel parking so you don’t scratch your wheels when parking. I think they have it on because it is a novel feature that came with the car and don’t understand how it can be useful.

No it’s not on and quite honestly wouldn’t even know how to turn it on.

What is this?? (sorry if this is a stupid question, but I never heard of this)

b

Some vehicles when placed in reverse the outside mirrors automatically move so you can see the side of vehicle and rear tires for parallel parking.

OP stated the van was within $500 of being totaled. That could have been exceeded by fairly minor hidden damage. From OP’s description of serious problems the vehicle should have been totaled. The body shop should have informed the insurance company that the van could not be properly repaired for the adjuster’s estimate.

3 Likes

So I am not wrong in thinking that the issues I have now were caused from
the wreck/repair

sgtrock21 http://community.cartalk.com/users/sgtrock21
February 19

OP stated the van was within $500 of being totaled. That could have been
exceeded by fairly minor hidden damage. From OP’s description of serious
problems the vehicle should have been totaled. The body shop should have
informed the insurance company that the van could not be properly repaired
for the adjuster’s estimate.

–
Visit Topic
http://community.cartalk.com/t/question-about-body-damage-repair/99989/49
or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here
http://community.cartalk.com/email/unsubscribe/cea0b73b7107d77ea9e1a280e7b3db720b77bbae3b0cb9ff283b9fa8225bc13a

Hmmm. Our mirrors move down but the camera stays the same and you get a view of the entire area you are backing into.

From your description of excessive body panel gaps that have not yet been restored to pre-accident condition I would say yes. I would think by now the repair cost has exceeded $9,500 and GIECO will total it which I am surprised they didn’t do when the repair estimate was $500 less than the vehicle value.

Well the adjuster figured once shop started working on it they would find
extra damages, then call adjuster and then he would total but instead they
repaired roof to cover other costs without an okay from adjuster or even
myself. I am at a loss of what to do cause adjuster keeps telling me to
take back til fixed right and I would think after the 7th time and it not
being fixed right that it would be obvious it’s not going to be. Shop owner
basically told me no car is ever fixed back to original condition but my
understanding is that they are supposed to be. Am I just supposed to live
with it since the works been done and insurance has paid?

How unsightly are the gaps? Can you post a picture? If a professional body shop agrees this repair does not meet repair industry standards perhaps you can have it repaired and sue the first body shop for the cost of proper repair. There is a risk of not recovering the repair costs.

The easiest fix would be to buy a different vehicle, one that has not been in a wreck.

I will take pics and post.

You are at a dead end with the adjuster and body shop. You need to complain to your agent and continue up GEICO’s management levels. If GEICO fails to satisfy you contact your state Insurance Commissioner office. It is your insurance company’s responsibility that you be fully compensated. They can sue the body shop and recover their losses if they choose. Best of luck.

2 Likes

Thank you! Was needing to know what my next step was

I said 3 days ago that you needed to apply pressure to the adjuster, the insurance company and contact your states version of insurance commissioner.

2 Likes

Looks like you were driving like Brad Pitt in Kalifornia! (Where he chased his landlord in a Grand Prix around the trailer park)

If you live in a relatively dry part of Texas, you could cut off the roof