Question about a CarFax report (and its meaning)

I’m not a Jay Leno fan . . . as far as relates to cars

And I never watched his late show, either

As far as that “brace behind the dash was cut off” . . . yes, I’ve always had a dim opinion of such things that perhaps saved time for certain repairs but hacked up the car, as far as I’m concerned

We’ve talked about this a few times on this forum

I’ve always been against such things, whereas some of the others are in the other camp

In regards to that Corvette . . . I’m not familiar with them, but it sounds like somebody replaced an ac evaporator and didn’t feel like doing the job properly, so they just cut that brace. I believe those braces . . . . or carriers, or crossmembers, or whatever you want to call them . . . might be considered a structural part of the vehicle. They definitely support the dashboard, steering column, airbags and such things, so therefore I personally don’t think it’s cool to cut them just to save some time

Call me a sourpuss, but there’s some lines I just won’t cross

I respect Jay Leno, but I don’t really like him, from what I’ve seen

There are some flaws in which no mechanic may be able to spot no matter how proficient they are. I have referenced in the past a Chevy taken in trade by a old boss of mine. The car was as new in and out and the car only had a shade over 3k miles on it. He sold it very quickly of course.

On the 3rd return in 2 weeks for nagging electrical problems it was discovered the car was actually 2 spliced to make one when the front carpet was pulled up. The car had been undercoated underneath and with the carpet covering the inside this travesty was not really viewable.

I think MikeinNH is a bit too modest. He may refer to himself as a back yard mechanic but from what I’ve read over the years he seems to be pretty knowledgeable and conscientious. I would certainly trust him with a repair more than a lot of guys I’ve worked with.

I’d probably take 5 times as long. Huge difference between a back-yard mechanic and you professionals. I did work as a mechanic for a couple years while going to college (45+ years ago)…But I had a good master mechanic to work with and learn from. You and @db4690 and @Tester have a lot more knowledge and experience then I do. My son bought a couple used cars…and we took it to a trusted mechanic to look it over.

Back when I was looking for a replacement for my Trailblazer, I wanted another one but they are becoming rare as hens teeth, at least ones in decent shape. Search wasn’t going too well when I decided to entertain the idea of a salvage-rebuilt. Lots of those, some almost like new at least superficially. A 2009 with only 45k miles for example. The first place I went was very local. They had a bustling business and I noticed a TB out front. Stopped to look. They had a robust photo album of the truck as they received it (totaled) and the work done along the way. Seemed like all bases covered. Took it for a test drive and that’s where the warts started to appear.

First, alignment was way off. Next, TPMS alert on. Then noticed heat gauge climbing. We go back to the lot and a quick tour around the vehicle. A rubber valve stem on one tire. The coolant jug was bone dry and then so was the radiator. Seems they forgot to fill it. Looking at the common areas for rust on the frame and lo and behold, fresh paint there. HARD PASS.

Next I was up in Maine and saw an ad for a place that had two supposedly restored wrecks. Stopped there. Get down to look underneath. It is pristine- with an undercoating like paint on the entire frame and underside of the vehicle. That looks amazing but hides any work so I can’t tell if it was done right. Notice a few body parts are not completely connected, the plastic pins are missing. PASS.

What I found looking at rebuilds was a propensity to put lipstick on the proverbial pig. They look like a great deal to the average person. I ended up buying a used low mileage 2008 off a local car lot that had been a company car so well maintained. Never looked back and won’t consider any ‘professionally’ rebuilt vehicles in the future.

That’s a problem. Deal too good to be true usually is.

I remember when Chip Foose had a car restoration show…and one time they went to a junkyard and bought a 60’s something Camaro for $5,000. More then this car sold new. No engine or tranny and it was a total rust bucket. They spent 3 weeks restoring the body to new condition. It was a retro-mod. I think it sold at auction for over $60k (about broke even if I remember correctly).

1 Like

Those are in a whole 'nother universe compared to a car that was in reasonable shape before it got wrinkled up. Very few of those extreme resurrections can be money making propositions. Most of them are labor of love kind of projects. I’ve done a number of those myself. Although I am losing the will and desire to do them as I get older. I still have one in my garage that is probably 8 years in the making. Frame was swiss cheese when I got it and it’s properly repaired and restored now. Lots of hours cutting and welding on it. Then I left it out in the yard for a month to condition it for painting :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: