Question about 1999 Volvo V70 and Coolant

Now, I have always figured coolant is coolant and it deosn’t really matter what you use, as long as you use it right (e.g. 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water in most cars) but I found out that my parents car actually does require a specific kind of coolant, and using standard coolant causes problems with it. I wanted to make sure my 1999 Volvo V70 would be fine with standard coolant before I went out and bought some.

I would recommend reading the owner’s manual. It contains information on all the fluids designed to work with your car. If you don’t have one, I’d recommend trying to get a copy. Some car companies post them on-line for free in PDF format.

I can share what my cousin’s 1999 S60 Sedan, 2.5L 5-cyl engine uses. Regular ethylene glycol coolant (standard green).

Does it get that specific? I figured it would just say “use genuine Volvo coolant” and not go into further detail.

If it says that, than do that. But until you look in the owners’ manual, you have no idea what it says…
Writing back & forth on the forum about what it might or might not say will not move you forward in your quest.

The owners manual; "Coolant: Volvo Genuine Coolant/Antifreeze only "

Alldata;
Type Volvo Original Coolant

Note: Volvo Original Coolant comes in different colors, it may be green, blue-green, red, or orange. Make a note of the color of the engine coolant prior to draining or filling the cooling system. Do not mix engine coolants of different colors.

The manual says "Use genuine Volvo coolant/antifreeze"
It does not say what color, and I can’t tell if what is in there is blue-green or green.

If it has been more than 2 years since the last coolant change, you should consider just getting it changed out with the proper stuff. Then follow the recommendations in the maintenance schedule for the next change. The best info I can find states the coolant and brake fluid should be changed out every 2 years.

The dealer may be able to you which coolant was used in 1999. If this was my car I wouldn’t rely on the dealer for fluids. I would drain the radiator and block and use an aftermarket coolant like Prestone extended life antifreeze/coolant.

I have no clue where to go to get the radiator flushed and new coolant added, how much it will cost, or who I can trust to put the right coolant in. Any help with these questions? As far as where and who, google was no help. The cost seems to be $80 as a general rule. Is that right?

Telephone book -> yellow pages -> auto -> “repair and service”.