Quaker State Motor Oil

My brother states that the locals told him and his buddies that the local beer, Ba Muoi Ba (translated as “33”) was wonderful. Upon viewing his first bottle of that beer, he noted that there were so many…things…floating in each bottle that it was probably as “pure” as the water from one of the local creeks. That sight was enough to cause him to avoid that local beer. There were a number of beers available at the PX–including American brands–and after sampling a variety, he decided that San Miguel was the best of the lot–by far.

In any event, for Vietnam veterans who recall that local brand of beer, here is something that might bring back memories:

And, just to keep things on an automotive footing, my brother recalls that even though Chrysler had given up on flathead engines in the US for several years, his '67 vintage Dodge pickup in Vietnam had one of Chrysler’s venerable flathead sixes under the hood.

When I did my own oil changes, I bought the correct viscodity of oil in whatever brand was on sale at the lowest price. One time I bought Citgo oil and with the rebate, it was 0 cents per quart–in other words free. At the same time, I bought some Billy Beer for less than a dollar a sixpack. Car ran fine on Citgo oil and I did o.k. on Billy beer.

2 Likes

Rolling Rock beer (my wife’s favorite) has a “33” on the bottle.
Makes one wonder…

True, but if they DO need a part they’re becoming scarcer than hen’s teeth. Tecumseh went out of business some years back and the replacement parts supply for them has dried up. I stumbled on that fact the hard way.

I too can’t live with replacing something that can be repaired. And like others with this affliction, I try to maintain everything and keep it forever or until my needs change. It drives me nuts when I can repair something but cannot get a replacement part anymore. I’m facing that with an appliance currently. It’s a GE electric range, the burner switch was obsoleted years ago, and there is no replacement. A later model switch would work electrically and fit physically (I tried one), but they changed the shaft size and configuration, so the old style knobs won’t fit. Obsolescence without functional purpose drives me crazy.

I hear ya. My son and I both had snow blowers with Tecumseh engines so when I heard they were closing shop and selling their molds to China, I ordered spare parts for both. Just carb kits, gaskets, etc. Geeze I think I spent over $80 for stuff on the shelf. Then I sold mine and bought a Toro. I gave the guy the spare parts that didn’t fit my son’s and I don’t think he realized what I was giving him-gold. So I’ve still got some parts on the shelf that I’m sure will never be used. Story of my life. Hope someone appreciates it all at my auction.