Puzzler answer error

Answer to “Lover’s Lane” puzzler, new 1935 Chevy with low battery.
Answer states spark plugs were on top of the engine, implying engine was a flathead. Not true, ‘35 Chevies had an OHV 6.
They should have used Dodge or Studebaker, they did use flathead engines.

2 Likes

You’re right. Here’s a '35 Chevy engine, all you’d be able to grab with pliers would be the ceramic

Another Puzzler mistake (actually an incomplete answer) was on “The Last Move” puzzler.

The answer includes this explanation:
“And the piece that is now the white rook, it had just been a pawn, and the move we were looking for is that pawn became a rook when it reached the end of the board, and therefore, the black king is now in check in two places.”

It needs to say this:
“And the piece that is now the white rook, it had just been a pawn, and the move we were looking for is that pawn became a rook when it reached the end of the board by capturing one of the black side’s pieces (moving diagonally), and therefore, the black king is now in check in two places.”

1 Like

I was puzzled by how the black king could be in check but the next move was white, but was thinking it was some sort of subtle chess rule. A white pawn taking a black corner piece on the diagonal would be blocking the check prior.

Actually, in the 20s, the F head engine had the advantage because it could have larger valves and the OHV ngines did not gain superiority until higher octane gas came along enabled a higher compression ratio requiring a smaller combustion chamber.

A number of vehicles did use F heads including Jeep and Rolls-Royce. I have only seen one F head in my life, that was a Jeep. You are correct F heads allowed larger valves than their Flathead and OHV counterparts.