Putting weight in my truck for winter

Excellent thought. I parked my truck on the side of the driveway and snowblowed (snowblew?) the snow into the bed as I cleared the drive. It really does make a big difference.

This works great. I had neighbor kids load my bed when they were outside playing.

Actually the premix concrete did turn into a crumbly block but cost $3.00 a bag and added 320 lbs plus the weight of the snow. When snow season was done the premix was thrown away, again at $3.00 a bag it was no big deal.
The truck was a Toyota 4wd and the upside down pallet, with 5 minutes of modifications wedged in perfectly.

Good winter driving skills won’t get you up a steep, snow covered hill. You can’t argue with basic physics:)

Most 2wd trucks have open differentials as well, which makes them a “one-wheel-wonder” in the snow.

Wouldn’t it have been easier to get a 4WD truck and not have to deal with throwing weight in the back? Yeah they cost more, but they hold their value much better than their 2WD counterparts especially as they get older. Around here a working 4x4 pickup will command at a minimum $3000 even if it’s 15 years old and has 200k on the clock. Where as a 2WD version of the same truck might get $1000. The toll on fuel economy isn’t much these days, it’s about 1 or 2 MPG for most trucks. The extra maintence isn’t a big deal either, a transfer case oil change every 30k-50k isn’t insurmountable. If you get a truck with manual hubs and a mechanical lever to engage 4WD, you shouldn’t have any problems. Electrically-engaged hubs aren’t known to be particurly strong or reliable though.

Works fine IF AND ONLY IF the truck bed has something like Rhinoliner. If not it’s a great way to rust the truck bed out.

That’s exactly what I said about 15 posts ago,why don’t people see the major advantage 4wd has,over weight in the back,and the disadvantages of carrying weight that provides a minimal increase in your vehicles ability to provide safe transportation in adverse conditions.

I agree that 4wd is far superior to 2wd…especially in a pickup with a very light rear-end. But how often do you really need 4wd? It’s a lot cheaper to put weight in the back every year.

I didn’t want a 4 wheel drive truck. Still don’t. I liked my 2 wheel drive trucks. Better ride, better handling, less to break.

I’ve been driving 2 wheel drive vehicles for over 40 years in winter weather without problem. Building a box for some concrete patio blocks is a simple hour’s creativity on a free weekend, much easier than changing transfer case fluid every 30K to 50K. 4 wheel dive is really an unnecessary expense for my type of use and driving. Besides, the 2 wheel drives have a lower bed height, and being a short guy I like that.

My main reason to post was the safety issue. I wanted to emphasize the importance of securing any load against becoming a projectile in an accident.

While I never had the bed rot problem from this, I agree that Rhinoliner is an excellent investment. I’d get it if I got another truck.

I owned one 2WD pickup and quite a few 4x4s over the years. I still put weight in the 4x4 for the reasons I cited. They are still light in the rear and ride/handle better with some weight in them.

Ah, one thing I forgot about, especially if some of the snow you pack in there is freshly plowed off the main roads(salt!) into your driveway.
I haven’t priced Rhinoliner, but even if you don’t put snow in the bed, it might be a good idea to get it done anyways. I wouldn’t want any type of drop-in or carpeted liner. I’ve seen where those drop-ins can still get wet underneath and rust the bed out. Carpet is even worse if you don’t have a cap on the bed, mildew and all other kinds of nasty things can grow.

And remember, the o.p. is not comparing 4x2 to 4x4 and not talking about buying again.
The only advice being asked for here is how to maximize the utility of the vehicle already in possesion.
Many have already answered with good advice ; good tires, extra weight, and practice driving in snow and ice with 4x2.

Personally I think Rhinoliner (or it’s equivalent) is one of the BEST products for cars in the past 20 years. Many people who restore cars are using it as their rust proofing material. It really helps protect the bed of a pickup. If I owned a pickup today it is the ONE option I’d buy.

Wouldn’t it have been easier to get a 4WD truck and not have to deal with throwing weight in the back?

Why not do both?

you could always put my ex girlfriend in the back to weigh it down!!i wouldnt mind!!!

I wanted 4WD, but the wife listened to her dad and told me no. Also I live in Omaha, NE. and they plow the streets pretty good, I would just need to get out of my neighborhood. I appreciate all the good advice, I was pretty sure you still needed weight in the new trucks. I used to have a '91 F-150 2WD and threw like 6, 70-lb sandbags in the back and it got around just fine. As for another reason
I got 2WD, I KILLED them on the price. I got it for about $5,000 under blue-book. So the wife said no, and the price was right, thats the reason for the 2WD. Plus, if I listen to my father-in-law, theres less to go wrong/break. I am gonna build a frame to put the bags in. again thank you for all the good advice.

I guess he was comparing 4x2 and 4x4 and talking about buying again

I drove for a car parts co. 6 years (in the midwest) and we always sand bagged the trucks in winter. Since I used the back all the time, and had a shell on the truck, I put 4 90# bags in and covered them with plywood. That made it simple to load and unload the parts I was transporting. I am sure the weight helped and we removed it in the spring.